• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Kindle Previewer not opening automatically from InDesign

Contributor ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in the default app screen, but it won't open automatically from indesign after export. To open the exported epub file, i have to open the program and import the file manually.

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not an expert on Kindle, but I believe it imports the ePub, not opens it. Kindle's default formats are MOBI and AZW, not ePUB. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, it's supposed to open Kindle Previewer the way a PDF export can open the doc in Acrobat. It simply doesn't work. 😛

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT does import, but when placed in the default export apps in InDesign, it is supposed to open automatically after export. I even saw instructional videos about InDesign, wherein the users have it open automatically. I have done it before, and it workled fine. Maybe it's the Kindle Previewer 3 version. I'll have to see if i can get the previous versiona nd test it.

As for Thorium Reader, first, I am not looking for an ebook READER, per se. I am seeking a solution to having Kindle PReviewer open after export, as it should. And Thorium is not at all the same. Kindle Previewer is made specifically for Indie Authors to test their books while they are in the formatting and completion of ebook process. The interface works very well for this.

The other reason against Thorium, is it does not play well with large monitors. I have to use a large monitor for the type of work I do, plus, i have some visual challenges. Thorium UI does not allow for that, and the app is HUGE, and thus, cannot be navigated.

Thanks everyone, foryour input.
I'll watch this thread and hope maybe someone knows what the problem might be with auto-opening Kindle Previewer from InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am about as skilled with software, CC, InDesign and KP as could be desired, and nothing I've done has ever made ID open an exported EPUB in a preview tool. This includes new, clean installations, manually adding the previewers to the list, and making sure KP in particular is updated. It's a bit frustrating but just keeping a file window open and clicking on the new EPUB is almost as fast.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has current versions of both and is getting auto-open to work.

If Thorium isn't necessarily an optimal reader for your setup, it's still useful for good baseline or technical checking. (And I do have very large monitors, and have no display issues with it — the new gen of ultrawide/5K monitors are playing havoc with things right now, though.)

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "automatically open previewer" function has never worked for me, no matter how I configure either ID or KP. I am not sure where the problem lies. This is true even when I add KP to the "also open" list below. (But then, I can't make ID automatically open Thorium Reader, either, by adding it to the list.)

I simply click on the exported EPUB and that opens Previewer to convert and display it. (Note that KP will open a new instance every time; you may want to get in the habit of right-click/Close All Windows occasionally.)

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That "feature" AFAIK depends on the operating system. Have you tried switching to something else to see if it works there? I'd suggest Thorium Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines