Exit

Known bug? ID crashes after inserting unformatted text

Participant ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

ID 18.1, German version

ID crashes each time after insterting text by clipboard (equal if from Word or as plain text) as unformatted text to the end of a text frame only in text mode, not in layout mode.

How can I figure out if this is a well-known, but unsolved problem? 😞

Thanks,

mycc

mycc_0-1678270486112.png

mycc_1-1678271909974.png

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this has been reported here before, so the first thing to try is resetting the preferences. See Reset InDesign Preferences and Other Troubleshooting 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. But:

Oh no! How many times am I supposed to reset my settings and restore all my preferences?

No, this general tipp does not work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try it? Resetting prefs solves perhaps more than 90% of problems like this. It's particularly important NOT to import prefs from a previous version, but instead to rebuild them fresh. That takes less than five minutes. One you have a set that is clean and working you can make backup copies of both the Indesign Defaults and InDesing Saved Data (this is the cache file that sometimes needs replacing to fix interface issues) files in your user profile and just copy them over the old ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reusing my keyboard shortcuts and the settings in my work space after a reset should be no problem, or? I've done many changes during the years I have been working with ID ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Resetting prefs has no effect on either your saved Keyboard shortcuts or saved workspaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines