• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

L key randomly stops working in InDesign

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frequently while I am working in InDesign (16.2.1), my L key will just stop working. I have to reboot my laptop (Windows 10 Education, 64-bit) to make it work again and then sometimes it quits working again right away. The L key continues to work correctly in all other applications when this happens. 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is VERY random. Maybe a trash/reset of the InDesign preferences would help you narrow down the source of the problem?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/reset-indesign-preferences-and-other-troubleshooting/m-p/119...

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can think of no rational reason this would be happening, especially if the key is fine in other programs. I can only assume it is related to a particular shortcut you have assigned? You could check that by heading to Preferences > Keyboard shortcuts and hitting L at the bottom, and seeing what pops up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has helped. I completely uninstalled InDesign including all my customized settings and preferences, reinstalled fresh copy, and this same issue is still occuring. I'll be typing along just fine, having used all the letters normally, and the L will stop working, and all other text then turns "thin" and compressed. I have to completely reboot my laptop to reset it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about this trouble. It generally happens when there is a conflict of keyboard shortcuts with other applications/extensions/plugins. Try booting the system into Safe Mode (https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode) and check how it works there. It starts your system to perform certain checks and prevents third-party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. If it works fine in Safe mode, then there is some third-party service or application like antivirus, plugins, or web extensions conflicting with the InDesign.

Feel free to let us know if you still need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue, and it's a terrible bug that should be fixed. Why would typing just the 'l' character ever be a keyboard shortcut in the midst of inputting text? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @RickOrlo:

Does anything else happen when you type the letter l? And does it happen in one InDesign file or all InDesign files?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines