Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large Document in InDesign for Accessibility _ Heading Structure

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community,
I'm preparing a large file (an educational book of 350 pages) for accessibility in InDesign. Each page is so complex, that I had the idea was to create a single document but export & check page per page. This way I can control better the accessibility check and all mistakes. After each page would be correct, I would put all pages together in a PDF.

Well, I see now I have a problem with the Heading structure, because I would need a H1 for each page to have an appropiate nesting, because the accessibility checker doesn't allow me having a H3 or H4 starting a page... 

My question is ... is there a way to create a large InDesign Document for Accessibility in small pieces, how could I solve the Headings problem? 

Thank you so much in advance.
Ana 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create an header for each page, but apply [None] as character color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color? I guess you misread here Willi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I guess my question was not clear. I try again. 

I'm creating a long (accessible) document, a manual to learn languages. It has 350 pages and 10 chapters. Each chapter is a single inDesign Document. For accessibility I'm applying tags to styles. I have a question related to the Heading Tags (H1-H6). Each document (each chapter) has to have a H1, which is the name of the Chapter. If I do it this way, at the end, when I put all InDesign docs together to create the book, I have ten H1. But the book needs only one H1, so I get an error in Heading Structure. Do you have an idea how can I do it correctly? I cannot imagine I have to edit ALL Heading Tags at the end, wenn I put all chapters together, like: H1:tittle of the book, H2: name of the chapter and so on ... to correct the heading hierarchy.

Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have as many H1 that you want BUT you must go from a H1 to another H1, or an H2 etc but you can not SKIP a level. So if you go from H1 to H3, missing H2 then you will get the error.

So if every document starts with a H1 that is not the problem, you will have to find out where after that first heading in each document you skip a level. Maybe a subheader with level H3? Maybe a 'blank line' with a return that has a level you forgot? Open the tag tree in Acrobat Pro, select the header at the beginning with the H1 and then simply use the cursor down to 'walk' trough to see where the missing step is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, thank you so much for your explanation, Frans, this was really helpfull

(I'm just learning by doing). I'm sure I'll have more questions 😉
Greetings,  Ana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines