Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large InDesign file keeps crashing when opened

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

InDesign keeps crashing when I try to open an indd file. I have also tried to open it in various locations as an indd and an idml file (from my local OneDrive saved files and from the desktop). 

The file has 612 links weighing in at 2.71GB. The InDesign file itself is 147.6MB. It has hyperlinks throughout.

I inherited the file and it seems that it has been reused every year for at least the last 5 years.

I am using macOS Monterey version 12.3.1 with 16GB memory. My Adobe InDesign has been updated to version 18.1

I can open other InDesign files.

Is there anyone who can offer any advice or insight as I'm at a loss!

Thanks in advance

🙂

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a collection of troubleshooting advice and procedures:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/reset-indesign-preferences-and-other-troubleshoo...

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mike you are a life saver! I have turned off GPU and reset my prefs and I'm now able to open and work in the file. Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I suppose that thee images are not external links but embedded. 
  • Look into the file history what happened in the past, when it was createt, saved, restored, etc. You get the file history if you hold down command kee (Mac) or ctrl key (windows) and go to the menu Abotu InDesign …
  • To revive the file I recommend to export as IDML (InDesign Markup Language), open that and save that file.
  • You should never place/import images and embed them. This is the main reason for corrupted files. Place the images as linked files, replace them. Avoid EPS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP already tried IDML way.

Files are not embedded as INDD file is very small.

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2,71 GB is not a small file. It is huge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2.71 gb is size of linked images, but OP says .indd itself is only 147.6 mb...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the size of the packaged links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot see that he has gone the IDML path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First two paragraphs 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share on priv your IDML file? Just the IDML file - no links or fonts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I can do that, it goes against my organisations policies for file sharing. I will dbl check thanks Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a Windows only tool available at INDDRecovery — a program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents that might help if you have access to a Windows machine.

When all else has failed, there's Markzware's paid recovery service: https://markzware.com/products/file-recovery-service/

If you get this recovered, do a save as to a new name to rewrite the file. And while this clearly is not a problem of your own making it illustrates the problems that can come up when you continuously "recycle" old files into new ones. For things like newletters or magazines (or anything else that has repetitive issues) it is far better, and safer, to set up templates with page layouts and styles, and to start each edition as a new file from the template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines