Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layers are not different per page

Engaged ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a very beginner at inDesign.

I have two pages in my project. When i double click on each of them, the layers in the layer palette maintain the same. I can hide and unhide but no matter what page I am on it effects the other page thats not in view.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

There is no way to change it, and no real need to change it either. If you'd like to post more details about how you're typically using layers and how that's causing you trouble, you'll get help here with adjusting your approach and understanding of the features.

openskies2009  wrote

I can hide and unhide but no matter what page I am on it effects the other page thats not in view.

Right, so if you're working on page 2 and you hide layer 1 (presumably to help facilitate work on a layer other than l

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layers are document properties. What you’re seeing is perfectly normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyway to change this? When Im working on multiple pages, my layers get really cluttered

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Nor can I think of any real reason to want this.

Perhaps a better description of what you’re trying to accomplish would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to change it, and no real need to change it either. If you'd like to post more details about how you're typically using layers and how that's causing you trouble, you'll get help here with adjusting your approach and understanding of the features.

openskies2009  wrote

I can hide and unhide but no matter what page I am on it effects the other page thats not in view.

Right, so if you're working on page 2 and you hide layer 1 (presumably to help facilitate work on a layer other than layer 1), why does it matter that your layer 1 content then can't be seen on page 1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your only real solution is to create layers for each page. A lot of work, but it can be made easier with DTP Tools plugins:

DTP Tools - Layer Groups for Adobe InDesign

Here is the subscription info that gives you lots of good plugins:

DTP Tools - DTP Tools Cloud for Adobe InDesign

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im coming straight from designing magazines and newsletters in Photoshop, so for every page I have to copy or paste or link layers. Indesign doesn't seem to work this way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s right, it doesn’t. And if you’ve actually been designing these things in Photoshop, you’ve been using the wrong tool for the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

openskies2009  wrote

Indesign doesn't seem to work this way

Right, nor should it. The sooner you can rid yourself of the Photoshop mindset, the better. The misguided designing of pages in the wrong application forced you into all kinds of wrong-practice that you now must un-learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Thanks for the feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have wondered the same thing and it makes no sense. Clearly, a man made this so redundant... you can't properly organize your document when all the layers are the same on every page and if anyone says it doesn't matter they have gross houses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction: YOU can't. Experienced InDesign users can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet, a solution hasn't been provided...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use different masters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no solution because there's no problem.

It works as-designed and makes perfect sense. In fact, having varied layers per-page would make it much harder to organize a document. Layer states would be changing with every move to a different page. Imagine that in a document of several hundred pages. Picking up work on a document that someone else set up would be an unworkable nightmare.  It would be a mess, and a huge performance downgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok! Now to you... this old but I figured it out! On my own because you people were no help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want a solution? Hire a professional or take an InDesign class and learn how it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or YOU could be helpful instead of dismissive and rude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LinkedIn Learning have excellent step-by-step video tutorials on InDesign and other Adobe applications and you can get 30-days free access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer my methods and I got I wanted. Because that's what I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you could have just had a solution that works oh guru of Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a solution: Make for each page a document and bundle it in an INDB book file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Locking this discussion. The OPs question has been correctly answered in 2018, and the answer is still valid.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines