Exit

Library Chaos

Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign 17.0.1
MacOS Monterey 12.1

I can no longer delete library items nor update the contents of library items.
I tried using CC libraries instead but any item with a transparent-background text frame places as a white-background text frame instead. 
Have reset preferences, deleted cache. No change. 

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you have tried some already - but the links have deeper methods to try

---

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

---

If a document is not behaving well then try 

File>Export 

Choose IDML

Open the IDML in InDesign
Save the file as a new InDesign file with a new name
See if the issue persists.

---

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

---

There is an update to InDesign 17.01

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-17-0-1-improved-performance-and-bug-fix...

There's another update coming soon, I believe.

---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately none of it helped. 

One thing that has sort of worked is to remake all of my traditional (non-CC libraries) libraries from scratch (although InDesign will not let me save them in the InDesign folder, they are now out of the Application folder entirely) so now at least I can add/delete/update library items again. 

CC Libraries still won't work correctly however. Guess I won't be using them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. Could you please confirm if the InDesign library folder was shared with you? Were you the owner of that folder? Do other people have access to that folder? Also, could you please elaborate on what is not working in CC libraries?

Additionally, you may try the following steps and let us know if they help

Solution 1: Sign out and sign in to Creative Cloud & InDesign from the Help menu.

Solution 2: Rename the CoreSync folder, for example, as CoreSync1 from the following location:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/

Solution 3: Rename CEP folder, for example, as CEP1 from the following location:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/

Solution 4: Rename UXP folder, for example, as UXP1 from the following location:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am/was the owner of the library folder. No one else has/had access.

InDesign CC libraries — as I stated, text frames in the library that are supposed to be transparent gain a white background when placed into a document regardless of document settings. Sometimes (but not always) the fonts used in the frames in library items are changed to Minion Pro when placed in document rather than maintaining font used at creation of library item. Hence totally useless to me. So I won't use CC librarie anymore. The standard (non-CC) libraries only work if the library is outside the InDesign application folder for some reason. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for elaborating on the issue again. Could you recall or can confirm the font you used in the text frame when you added it to the CC library? Also, could you please share a small video of your workflow demonstrating the issue with me? I will check it at my end.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fonts were plain old Times regular & Helvetica narrow bold.

No video I can't spend any more of the company's time on this. Just draging an item from CC library onto document or using the Place command results in same thing. Font turns to Minion Pro, text frame gains white background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the information. We are constantly improving the performance of the apps. I understand you don't want to pursue this issue. But I checked, and I am unable to replicate the issue. Would it be possible to share the public link of the culprit asset or the folder with me here? I will check it at my end.

Anshul_Saini_0-1641417139207.png

Anshul_Saini_1-1641417161389.png

I will be looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted as my solution was to go back to newly created regular libraries (not stored in InDesign Application Folder). Maybe I'll try to export these new libraries to CC library format one day when I get time but right now I need to get on with what is working. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also have the issue of my libraries adding white backgrounds to all my transparent assets. It wasn't doing that before. I've tried to delete some assets and re-adding them to the library, but they're still uploading with a white background. This has happened to me in the past and it some how sorted itself out, but now it's not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines