• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ligatures in PDF not pasting correctly

Engaged ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I wonder if anyone can help with this issue. I design a magazine and at the very end of the process the editor uploads the content to the magazine's website. However as he will be editing the text in the InDesign file, that's the text he wants, rather than his original txt file which may vary depending on the edits. He doesn't have InDesign, so the solution seemed to be copying the text from the PDF. However upon inspection many characters including ligatures are replaced by a code. I tried saving a version without ligatures, but other characters are still affected.

Is there any way to paste the text from the PDF in such a way that it maintains everything as it appears in the PDF? Is this just a font problem - should I send him every font in use in the magazine? But then I assume it depends what fonts are available in the web uploader he is using?

Sorry for all the questions, I had a look but couldn't find anything that seemed the same.

TOPICS
Publish online , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

I had the same issue: Ligatures copied from PDF do not show up correctly when pasted in InDesign. My workaround: Before copying the texts in PDF, change the font to a monospaced font such as PT Mono or Andale Mono. You will lose the ligatures in PDF, but when pasted into InDesign, they will be correct (of course you need to have Ligatures turned on in InDesign if you want to use ligatures). 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

First, it makes more sense to me that the editor adjusts the text in a word processor to update InDesign and the Website. There are some great and simple workflows used in newspapers industries. Also, there is a good case for using InCopy here, it would allow the editor to adjust the text in the context of the layout.

Second, extracting text from PDF will always be problematic as the convertion process often breaks the text in irregular elements.

Third, the website needs to use a similar font that is 'web friendly'. Using a desktop font for printed layout will not convert to web easily and will breach some copyright issues at some point. There are web fonts that support ligatures, check in Adobe Fonts library https://fonts.adobe.com/ but if your web site is based on a managed platform (like Wordpress, Joomla or similar) instead of just html pages, adding the new font will take some coding at the core of the site.

Sorry, I do not offer a straight answer on how to fix this. Could the process be reversed? the editor creates the text online and you grab that for the printed issue once it is approved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must say the thought of a better workflow is tempting. I have a little InCopy experience from a previous role but my current employer is a little more old school - I import a text document, when the magazine is complete I'll print a first proof and get back amends scribbled all over it, implement them then repeat if necessary. But I agree something along the lines of InCopy or simpler is definitely something I would like to investigate and present as an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but if your web site is based on a managed platform (like Wordpress, Joomla or similar) instead of just html pages, adding the new font will take some coding at the core of the site.

Adobe makes it pretty easy to add Adobe web fonts to a WordPress site.

When you create a web font project at AdobeFonts they provide the one line style code snippet that you add to the site’s header. With WordPress it just needs to be added to the header.php file in the site’s theme. Many themes allow you to insert the Adobe code from the backend interface. The fonts can be used in the site’s style sheets the same way you would use any web font. Most themes also provide a way to add additional CSS styles from the backend.

https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/using/add-fonts-website.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience is just the opposite. Any decent WordPress theme integrates right into Google Fonts. There's nothing to do but choose a font.

Adding Adobe Fonts is a PITA.

Just my $0.02.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric's given you some good advice but I would recommend Google Fonts over Adobe Fonts for web use, especially if you're running a WordPress site.

A bit more info on the workflow would help us to help you more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same issue: Ligatures copied from PDF do not show up correctly when pasted in InDesign. My workaround: Before copying the texts in PDF, change the font to a monospaced font such as PT Mono or Andale Mono. You will lose the ligatures in PDF, but when pasted into InDesign, they will be correct (of course you need to have Ligatures turned on in InDesign if you want to use ligatures). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines