• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Line break shrinks when rotating upside down??

Participant ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

As I was making the A5 calendar to be printed in A4, so people can fold in half to hang it, I encounter this strange issue...

First I made a data in A5 document, then copied pasted them into a new A4 document.

However, while rotating half of the monts on the top part of A4 document, I notice the line breaks are shrinking all of sudden.

This text below change into....

Acai06_0-1640648700945.png

this below:

Acai06_1-1640648766453.png

Why does this happen and how to avoid this? This way it corrupts all the layout..

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Hi Acai06,

my guess: in the first screenshot the text is following the document's baseline grid.

As soon as you rotate the text frame this cannot happen anymore.

Solution: Enable the baseline grid of the text frame itself.

You'll find that in the text frame options.

From my German InDesign:

BaselineGrid-RotatedTextFrames-0.PNG

Solution:

Enable the baseline grid of the rotated text frame and synch its position to the grid of the document.

BaselineGrid-RotatedTextFrames-1.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Acai06:

Did you try printing or exporting to PDF? I'm guessing it is a visual issue, and won't appear like that in the final document. If it does, can you share the file?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried both and they apear the same way. I am sending the file now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose the leading is fixed to the base line grid to the document. I would try to apply a specific baseline grid to the frame you want to rotate. cmd/ctrl+B baseline grid options or do it better with an object style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, indeed they are fixed to the base line grid. I did not know you can apply a specific baseline grid to a frame.

Do you mean this below, and if so what should I do?

Acai06_0-1640698445269.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Acai06,

my guess: in the first screenshot the text is following the document's baseline grid.

As soon as you rotate the text frame this cannot happen anymore.

Solution: Enable the baseline grid of the text frame itself.

You'll find that in the text frame options.

From my German InDesign:

BaselineGrid-RotatedTextFrames-0.PNG

Solution:

Enable the baseline grid of the rotated text frame and synch its position to the grid of the document.

BaselineGrid-RotatedTextFrames-1.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked!! Thank you so much for explainig with screenshots. It helps..!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acai06 said:
"First I made a data in A5 document, then copied pasted them into a new A4 document.

However, while rotating half of the monts on the top part of A4 document, I notice the line breaks are shrinking all of sudden."

Yet another solution:

Keep the A5 pages and place the InDesign pages to the A4 document where you rotate one of the A5 pages.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the alternative solution, and I'm a bit puzzled what the difference with that and what I did...sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The difference:

Placing InDesign pages is like placing PDFs or AI files.

Copy/paste contents from one document to another one is something entirely different.

Note: in the area of the A4 page where you rotated the live and editable contents your document baseline positions are probably not in synch with the ones on your original A5 page where you took the contents from. And may also not in the other area where you did not rotate the frames.

So, all in all, placing InDesign pages could be an advantage.

Editing the original A5 pages is still possible, updating the edited and placed InDesign pages as well.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for explainig, let me dive into this and try out a few things once I fix another problem m(__)m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines