Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Line Tool and Shapes not working

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help!

I have a document (book) which I am working on. When I first started it, everything was working properly.  However, now when I try to add a simple straight line using the line tool (to create divisions between blocks of text etc) or add a shape (rectangle) it simply WILL NOT appear on the page!  Obviously, it's not the Object>Arrange>Bring Forward etc - that's the first thing I have tried.  I have tried changing the colour and weight and it makes no difference.  It seems that I have "done something weird" (according to my daughter!)  I am not an expert by any means, but have a little bit of experience.  When I open a new document and try adding a line or shape, it works fine.  So it seems it's something with this document.  Does anyone have any idea what I might have inadvertantly done?

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

@ELOISE2533104564bx wrote:

When I open a new document and try adding a line or shape, it works fine.  So it seems it's something with this document.  Does anyone have any idea what I might have inadvertantly done?

InDesign has something called document defaults. When you have a document open and you change the formatting with nothing selected, it changes the defaults for that document. That's why it's working fine in the other document. To "fix" it in the current document, you need to format

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ELOISE2533104564bx ,

Thanks for reaching out. I found a similar discussion which you can refer to here https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/shapes-not-showing-up-in-indesign-2018/td-p/9746... 

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you work with different layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@ELOISE2533104564bx wrote:

When I open a new document and try adding a line or shape, it works fine.  So it seems it's something with this document.  Does anyone have any idea what I might have inadvertantly done?

InDesign has something called document defaults. When you have a document open and you change the formatting with nothing selected, it changes the defaults for that document. That's why it's working fine in the other document. To "fix" it in the current document, you need to format the shape with nothing selected.

All objects will show in your Layers panel. Can you do this:

• Draw a rectangle and keep it selected
  • Open your Layers panel (Window menu) and spin open the disclosure triangle on the far left to show all objects on the current spread
  • Confirm that your Control panel (Window menu) is open
  • Share a screen shot that includes the selected rectangle and the two panels.

You might see a few other rectangles and lines when you open your Layers panel. All the invisible ones still exist. They can be selected and deleted.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines