• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Line up periods after footnote numbers

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to line up the periods that come after footnote numbers? I can't figure out how to automatically insert a tab before the numbers so that I can set the first tab as a decimal tab. Here is how I want the footnotes to look:

9. Footnote text

10. Footnote text

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

See ETAs. You can add a tab, but you can't specify it to appear automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Got it. Thanks, @James Gifford—NitroPress.

@Wren5FB9L: You can use a GREP Find/Change to assign the leading tabs all at one time. If the style has the tabs set us per @Steve Werner, the periods will line up at at point. 

~Barb

2023-02-03_09-32-08 (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a Paragraph Style for format the footnote in Type > Document Footnote Options.

Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 7.41.00 AM.png

In the Paragraph Style, go to Tabs and set a right aligned tab for the number followed by a period, and a second tab aligned left for the footnote text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this works, Steve. Footnotes can't begin with a leading tab, unless I've missed something on several rounds of trying to achieve this formatting. ETA: It works only with a manual tab added. I'm not sure that worked in some prior version, though.

It does work for every other numbering setup, AFAIK.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve: I just keystroked this (and every other combination of options I could think of) but was unsuccessful. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID does not allow you to lead the footnote configuration string with a tab. It's a hole in the capabilities, IMHO.

I am not sure there's another workaround to get this format, which is both my preference and (I believe) the proper layout.

ETA: If you set up the paragraph style with tabs, as Steve suggests, you can manually add the first tab after the footnote is created. I'd forgotten that. 😛 Still a hack that should not be needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James,

I think you're right. I had never done it but I realize that in InDesign the footnote cannot consist of <number> < period> <tab><footnote text>.

The number has to be the same number as the footnote reference in the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See ETAs. You can add a tab, but you can't specify it to appear automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Essentially, you cannot automate footnoting in InDesign that contains a tab or a period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ETA: If you set up the paragraph style with tabs, as Steve suggests, you can manually add the first tab after the footnote is created. I'd forgotten that. 😛 Still a hack that should not be needed.

Ok, can you share a screen shot, James? I can't figure it out.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't add the tab in the setup or automatically. However, once a footnote is added, you can manually add the tab in front of the generated number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. Thanks, @James Gifford—NitroPress.

@Wren5FB9L: You can use a GREP Find/Change to assign the leading tabs all at one time. If the style has the tabs set us per @Steve Werner, the periods will line up at at point. 

~Barb

2023-02-03_09-32-08 (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very clever, thanks, Barb and James!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The collaboration is one of the parts of the forum I like best. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! This solution is going to save me a ton of time. I really appreciate the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are always happy to help, @Wren5FB9.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines