• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Link info of cells for imported Excel documents

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since most of my projects require importing big amount of Excel data into InDesign with usually up to 600 links from one Excel file there is a feature that's missing inside InDesign and that is Link info of the imported cells. The reason why this is required is because sometimes the Excel document changes and it's hard to track where those certain cells where imported from.

Link info.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

I've submitted the feature request do Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be a good feature request, especially if using named regions from Excel.

I think the best option would be to break the Excel sheets into separate files with VBA code.

Here is one example of the code: goo.gl/LJ9S2j

It has the option to keep or break any links between the sheet

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've submitted the feature request do Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This request was submitted in 2017. I'm wondering if Adobe has made this feature happen, because I am about to embark on a project involving about 12 prices lists that will be linked to a single massive Excel document. Each price list will use a subset of the data in the Excel, with some overlap, so I want to keep the Excel as the master document. What I'm "worried" about is this: when changes occur in the Excel sheet, how do I make sure that formatting applied in InDesign stays as is instead of reverting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@stevel64136712 

Repeating what I said in the other posting you made, you need to use WordsFlow from Em Software. There has been no changes in the way InDesign handles linked Excel files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just checked out their website and it looks like exactly what I need. I really appreciate you pointing me in that software's direction!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines