• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Link path to Google Shared Drives inconsistent in ID from one Mac to another

Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We collaborate on InDesign documents between multiple people. Since Google Drive software has been updated to remove use of kexts we have been having severe problems in InDesign.

The new and old path structures changed with the changes in endpoint software. That was fine, we expected to have to redo paths in linked files in InDesign over 1 or 2 weeks. Instead it is an ongoing problem. The path looks fine in the Finder, we see something like Google Drive:Shared Drives:Photos: but in InDesign the path will show using the old format like Hard Disk:Volumes:Google Drive[string of around 20 numbers]:Shared Drives:Photos:

Everyone is running macOS 12.4 (Monterey). Everyone is on the current version of Google Drive. If someone's Mac was updated from an earlier version of macOS and Google Drive we (1) signed out of Google Drive, (2) Deleted the DriveFS application support folder from the user Library, then restarted. We noticed that in these cases the path in the Finder would show the old style path, but after we do this the Finder shows the new style path. When we link the image in an ID document it shows us the proper path but after the document is checked into K4, basically saving the document, the path in ID changes to the wrong style of path.

Any ideas? This is wasting people's time and is a source of potential error during the relinking process.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that this happens in both ID 2021 and 2022. We are on ID 2022 12.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does everything work okay with Dropbox or OneDrive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do not use either one. I suspect DropBox would be fine since they dropped the ball in getting rid of kexts. We don't use OneDrive, none of the people in Art nor Production have access to it. It is possible that the problem might have come up if we switched from OneDrive's old paths to OneDrive's new paths. I am not sure how much of the problem is ID and how much is Google.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't use OneDrive, none of the people in Art nor Production have access to it

Does everyone in Art and Production have a CC subscription? Have you tried sync’ing to the Creative Cloud Files folder and sending out collaboration invites via your CC account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just looking into that. I got an immediate error that my jpg file was supported, has to be a native PSD, AI or XD file. This would greatly complicate our workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops, I mean jpg files are not supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you by any chance trying to save to cloud documents via Photoshop’s Save dialog, or trying to upload via the cloud webpage?

You don’t have to do either, just copy the project folder into your local Creative Cloud Files folder, which by default is installed here:

⁨Users⁩ ▸ username ▸ ⁨Creative Cloud Files

and the folder and contents will automatically upload—a green check mark indicates the file has successfully uploaded.

To invite other CC users to sync to a folder, right click the folder and choose View on Website:

Screen Shot 5.pngScreen Shot 6.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There shouldn’t be a problem with jpegs or really any file format. The only limits would be file naming—you can’t use certain characters:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/arent-my-files-syncing.html

I haven’t run into any file format that won‘t sync—you can see all the  different file formats in this sample folder named SYNC EXAMPLE (which is inside of my Creative Cloud Files folder) have sucessfully sync’d to my cloud account:

Screen Shot 3.png

You have to watchout for aliases, they will sync, but collaborators can’t get at the original

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just worked with Adobe support. Yes, if we use file sync instead of the Your Files we can sync anything. We will test that tomorrow. Problem is that it downloads everything and that ultimately the files are tied to a single users account so we will have to move the files out of CC File Sync as soon as we finish an issue. What misled me was dragging stuff in the the CC Window and that only allowed Adobe file formats, so they have 2 different ways of sharing files and one mislead me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is that it downloads everything and that ultimately the files are tied to a single users account so we will have to move the files out of CC File Sync as soon as we finish an issue.

It works the same way as DropBox, a regular CC subscription should include 100GB of space, so yes you’ll want to archive finished projects or buy more space. You can also selectively share folders and files with different members of the group

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, as with any cloud sharing service there are no lock files, so communication is important to avoid conflicted copies. From the helpx:

Understand conflicted copies

If you change or sync the same file on multiple devices at the same time, the device to finish uploading "wins." The Creative Cloud desktop app doesn't attempt to merge the changes for you. Rather, any changes made after the first upload (the upload that "won") are synced in a "conflicted copy" of the file. The name of the new file is the same as the old one, but appended with "conflicted copy." The filename also includes the name of the device/computer responsible and the date on which the conflict occurred. This way, all of your changes are preserved and your hard work isn't overwritten.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is getting stranger. One one Mac, one where the user never used the old Google Drive software, everything is perfect. But when I open the exact same layout, the paths are using the old method. I am trying to figure out if I need to rip out something from Google Drive or from ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines