• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linked Tiff Files are not showing up on Exported PDF

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have several TIFF File images that are linked into my Indesign File. After I export the PDF, the TIFF files are showing as grey boxes with a big X. During my export settings, I am checking the "include hyperlink" box on the General Tab. Indesign CC 2021. See attachments for export settings and pdf result. 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

From the window menu, can you check that the Display Performance is set to Typical or High Quality Display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric, That's a View setting, not a Print setting.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric, I have no issues with displaying the TIFF file in indesign. It is after exporting it as pdf. The pdf is showing the images that were linked TIFF's as grey boxes with X. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening in all PDF viewers? Acrobat? Reader? Browsers? Preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It is happening in all PDF Viewers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The display quality in your InDesign file is not connected to the export proicess.

If it was fine before now, perhaps you accidentally hit the key command to take ID to "Fast Display" which greeks the photo boxes.

Check your view settings under View > Display Performance.

I have seen this occur when one is running out of memory. If the settings above are correct, try just quit/reboot and see if it sorts itself out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoaringMouseGraphics, thanks for you reply however I have no issues with displaying the TIFF file in indesign. It is after exporting it as pdf. The pdf is showing the images that were linked TIFF's as grey boxes with X. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try exporting with PDF/X-4 standard and don't change anything else.

But before that make sure those images aren't on a non-printing layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate your help. This did not solve it. Still seeing grey boxes. I'm beginning to wonder if my TIFF files are corrupted. I can see the linked TIFF image in Indesign just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Whitney5DD1 wrote:

This did not solve it. Still seeing grey boxes.

Can we see your Links panel?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was basing my answer on your screenshot, which appears like a live page layout in InDesign, with the guidelines, etc.  Sorry for the confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If nothing helps, open that image in Photoshop and resave it as PSD file (or if no transparency is involoved JPG with high quality is also good) and replace it with the original image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

roaringmousegraphics said:

"I was basing my answer on your screenshot, which appears like a live page layout in InDesign, with the guidelines, etc."

Thought so as well, but after inspecting this screenshot below I see that:

Include > Visible Guides and Baseline Grids

was enabled.

Capture2.PNG

What I wonder:

Were the TIFF images placed from CC Libraries?

Do we perhaps see a bug with TIFF images ( 1-Bit bitmaps? ) and CC Libraries?

Whitney5DD1,

I think we need a sample document with one graphic placed and embedded; embedded for testing only, not that I would suggest this a regular workflow. You can embed a placed and linked image in the Links panel. One page in the document should be enough. Put the InDesign document on Dropbox or a similar service and share the download link.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do we perhaps see a bug with TIFF images ( 1-Bit bitmaps? ) and CC Libraries?

Hi Uwe, I can see that the Link icon in the layout capture is the regular link and not the cloud icon. Seems like resaving the TIFFs as PSDs might be worth trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rob,

well, yes, but the information if the TIFFs were placed from a CC Library could be an important piece of the puzzle.

Some years ago I've seen a similar issue. The cause: An image was added to a CC library when the view was set to "Normal" and the quality of the display performance was set to "Fast Display".

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines