• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking TOC to Text in an EPUB

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some years ago I created a book for print in InDesign, exported to press-ready PDF, and then sent it to press for the client. They've returned to me now and want me to do two e-versions of that book from those old InDy files--one an interactive PDF and the other an EPUB. I've done both before, but for the table of contents in the interactive PDF, I've worked within the PDF (because I manually created the table of contents), drawing the box arount the toc entry and then linking it to the proper place in the book. I'm olay doing it that way for this interactive PDF, but I've never done a linked toc in an epub. Is there a step-by-step anyone can point me to for this, as I have to get this done pst-haste? Thank you.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Create a TOC style in ID--be sure to check "Create PDF Bookmarks" as they are very useful.

For the PDF, run the TOC style and place on the page where you want it. When exporting, select Include: Bookmarks and Hyperlinks. I usually set the Bookmarks panel to open in Acrobat automatically so users know it is there. 

For the EPUB, you usually don't include a TOC "page" like you do in a PDF. (The PDF TOC page is mainly for users that end up printing the file since the Bookmarks panel is more ver

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign was the original document created in?
Do you want to create a FXL ePub or a Reflowable ePub?

What do you want to be “Interactive” in your PDF? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed Layout EPUB. All that I make "interactive" is being able to click on items in table of contents (chapter headings, subheadings) and get to the respective places in the text. I call it "interactive" simply because that's what that spec is called in InDesign's Export As formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a TOC style in ID--be sure to check "Create PDF Bookmarks" as they are very useful.

For the PDF, run the TOC style and place on the page where you want it. When exporting, select Include: Bookmarks and Hyperlinks. I usually set the Bookmarks panel to open in Acrobat automatically so users know it is there. 

For the EPUB, you usually don't include a TOC "page" like you do in a PDF. (The PDF TOC page is mainly for users that end up printing the file since the Bookmarks panel is more versitile for on-screen reading.) When you export, you simple select your TOC style in the Navigation TOC: Multi Level (TOC Style) menu. Virtually all readers have their own on-screen TOC window that works similar to the PDF Bookmarks panel.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines