• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Links in Book TOC to Chapters

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book with 76 Chapters. I created a TOC.  Five of the Chapters (3,4,5,6,7) do not link from TOC to Chapter in the epub.  All other chapters have the ":"  symbol in front of the word "Chapter with a number" at the start of the Chapter.  I tried a few ideas to link these chapters, but no luck.

Can I manually install hyperlinks for these chapters?  When I move the cursor over the link in the TOC for these chapters I get the hand symbol, which makes me think the link is missing in the Chapter document.  But I cannot figure out why when all the other Chapters with the same style function.

Appreciate any suggestions or workarounds to solve this problem.  Thanks

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few simple questions/thoughts:

First, make sure you have completely defined a TOC 'style' for the book and saved it under a unique name. (And be sure to save it each time you make any change; those changes are lost after one TOC generation, otherwise.)

In the EPUB export, select Navigation TOC: Multi-Level and be sure to give it the name of the TOC you have created.

Before export, generate the TOC but then do not place the resulting frame (hit Esc) or place it and then delete it. The document doesn't need an in-text TOC unless you want one.

If the chapters still are not linking correctly, please describe a little more clearly the difference you see — I can't quite sort out what you've said above on this point.

Also, specify what EPUB reader you're using. They vary tremendously and some are very nonstandard/buggy.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response and suggestions.  I solved the issue since writing, perhaps using similar ideas in part.  I went back to the five chapters I mentioned previously. I deleted the Chapter 3, 4,5, etc titles for those chapters.  I typed in a new Chapter heading for each.  I went to Hyperlink/new bookmark and gave each of those chapters a new bookmark next to the new Chapter heading.   I then updated the entire TOC .  All the links from TOC to Chapter headings now work in the epub.

What was curious was that the "preview link" in the TOC took me to the page.   I think updating the TOC finally headings I re-entered connected.  

No idea why those five chapters out of all 76 Chapters did not link, except that they may not have had bookmarks. But they are all working now.

Thanks again for your response.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

EPUB exports with links can be very fussy — end notes are much worse and sometimes the fix is simply to shut ID down, start up, load the doc and export... and it works. You may have had some buggy markers in those headings.

Glad you found a fix, though!

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines