• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Loading cell styles to multiple docs simultaneously?

Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I am on a MacBook Pro using INDD 2022.

I have 100+ docs that have a table that I need to update/modernize the cell styles on.

Is there a way to add the cell styles to ALL of the docs at one time instead of going into each document and loading styles from the cell styles panel?

Each table contains different information (prices).

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Hi newwave88,

hm. You could add all documents to an InDesign book file and synchronize the cells styles.

I would test this with two documents only. Step by step…

See section Synchronize book documents at:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/creating-book-files.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi newwave88,

hm. You could add all documents to an InDesign book file and synchronize the cells styles.

I would test this with two documents only. Step by step…

See section Synchronize book documents at:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/creating-book-files.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response. Is there a way to do it without the book method? I did see a similar article related to this on other styles (Character, Paragraph). 

I would be interested in if I did the book method if the individual files would capture the styles. I will do a test as you recommend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a Book file then add all the InDesign documents to that. Choose a document that has updated cell styles and make it the source document, then Synchronise your book. All documents should now have the same cell styles (use Synchronise Options... in the book menu if you don't want anything apart from Cell Styles to be synchronised).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @newwave88:

Here's a tip to consider when you are new to synchronizing. You have two options to pick from in the book panel menu:  Synchronize Book or Synchronize Options. I prefer to avoid Synchronize Book and rely on Synchronize Options because I can see exactly which formats will sync and I am significantly less likely to make a mistake and synchronize something I wasn't expecting. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I remember you, Barb! You helped me once before. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL. Glad I didn't scare you away. @newwave88. 😉

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I didn't scare you either! lol 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you add documents to your Book file, be sure to check the Book Page Numbering Options first on the Book's menu. 

The default settings are set to continue from previous document and auto-update page numbers. Both could mess up your existing documents. 

image.png

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Creamer Training for the heads up! I did notice this when I was doing a test of just 3 docs. (Mine are in sets of 3's). I will take a look at this. Wow, I appreciate all the feedback on this. So helpful and will save me some time when I have to do this again for a separate project next week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - I hope I can ask a sub question on this topic, but is there a way if you change an attribute in a character style (say font size), can it change globally to all docs that have that style?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, also by synching styles using an InDesign book of documents.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

oh, okay. I will do some testing. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines