• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking to move a template from Word

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm looking to replicate a wrapper template I have in Microsoft word currently and then be able to create new designs for it. 

i need the shapes & layout built into the software for each wrapper and then be able to edit within that. 

is this possible?

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

You will have to reconstruct this layout in InDesign. No simple import from Word will preserve enough of the layout. But you can carefully reconstruct one and then duplicate it across the page.

The effort will be well spent; you will find this kind of precision printing much easier from ID than from Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not really clear what you mean by "wrapper template". That said, whatever elements make up the template in Word can likely also be placed in InDesign, but how to go about it depends on the construct of those elements. There probably isn't any one-step conversion that will replicate everything the Word file contains in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The template is just the layout of the wrapper for chocolates.

I.E 10 wrappers fit to 1 A4 page.

I can attach an image if that helps?

I’m just not sure how to set it up.

Sent from Outlook for iOS<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can attach an image if that helps?

Yes, a screenshot would help, along with a good explanation of what is shown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This is currently how I am using it in word:
[cid:9b30838b-5a70-4ad3-a034-d84781529c9d]

Then I add images / text / graphic into each wrapper to create something like this ready for printing:

[cid:2954b4a8-21da-4c9e-ba60-218a948dfd30]

[horizontal bar]

[email signature deleted by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your images are not showing up. You can't embed them in an email reply, you must visit the online forum to add them. I've taken the liberty of deleting your personal information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah sorry I didnt not realise, I will add them in here hopefully that will work.

Word Doc.PNGDesign.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to reconstruct this layout in InDesign. No simple import from Word will preserve enough of the layout. But you can carefully reconstruct one and then duplicate it across the page.

The effort will be well spent; you will find this kind of precision printing much easier from ID than from Word.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any tutorials on how to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be, but this is a fairly specific task that involves two or three basic processes. Start with creating the two basic shapes (rectangle and tab) and the following steps should be easy to figure out.

More questions welcome as you have them, but you're kind of jumping from beginner to an intermediate project, so it may be hard to give you clear guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, sorry I have never used any adobe products before so this is all totally new. Once I have created the shapes will I easily be able to add images & text into them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Learn some essential course about InDesign on LinkedIn learning platform and then you can do this without problems. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are a lot of steps, and nothing short of some basic training is going to give you a good handle on them. But most of what you're trying to do is fairly straightforward, so give it a shot and maybe work through some free training videos etc. while you go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines