• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Losing Formatting When Exporting Epub from Indesign

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to export a book as an Epub from Indesign and have hit a snag. I usually have no trouble, but this book has some formatting I've never used before - namely shading and border. As you can see, in Indesign, the shading and border have no gaps between paragraphs. Also, the shading and border are offset from the text a bit.

However, once exported, all that changes. On top of that, the top line is spread out further than the other lines in the Epub - also different than the Indesign layout.

I can get the spaces between paragraphs to go away by changing the paragraph style. But then the paragraphs are jammed closer together, which is not as easy to read. However, even when I do that, I can't get the border and shading to spread out away from the text.

Any clue how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

As far as I recall, the InDesign Paragraph Shading features does not implement in Reflowable ePub, try a staight background tint fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EPUB2 or EPUB3?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does the same thing either way. I usually do 3, but tried 2 hoping that would remedy it. Thanks for asking! And it's reflowable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike (or others) - any thoughts on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I recall, the InDesign Paragraph Shading features does not implement in Reflowable ePub, try a staight background tint fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow! Bummer, but so thankful to know that. You've saved me a ton of time!

All the best,

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can do quite a bit, both fixing and overriding export defaults, using CSS at the EPUB level. Restoring background fills, tweaking borders, rotating text — all trivial if you have CSS knowledge to apply to the EPUB's file components.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines