• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lost design elements when switching from RBG to CMYK

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,  I recently learned that my colours are dull because I've been working in CMYK.  I switched to RBG, and worked in that format for a few days. Once I realized the format has to be in CMYK for print, I switched back to CMYK, and most of the elements I created while working in RBG have disappeared.  They just don't show up in CMYK, depite using the same colour palate I've used thorughout.  When I switch back to RBG, these elements reappear. If anyone knows how to restore my work in CMYK, please help!

TOPICS
How to , Print , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching between RGB and CMYK has no affect on how things appear.

There must be something else going on. 

But we don't have enough information or even visuals to know what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many RGB colors are (what is called) out of gamut of and cannot be directly reproduced in CMYK. This makes sense since all CMYK colors are achieved by a combination of screens of only four different color inks. This absolutely limits the range of colors that this system can reproduce. When you originally worked in the CMYK what you created was within then range of the process colors. When you worked with the RGB you were within a world of a lot more subtle and certainly brighter colors. Going back to CMYK loses the subtlety and brightness. It sounds like the colors you "lost" were simply a result of going back to a duller color system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did those elements just blend in with other elements? They cannot disappear. Please show a screenshot with all elements on your page selected (CMD/CTRL + A).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this. I found when I hovered over the elements with my mouse
I could see that the frames and details were still there, with
their correct dimensions etc. They were there, they just didn't have any
colour. I just clicked on each, and filled the colour. It's corrected.
What is strange is that not everything disappeared when I switched from RBG
to CMYK.. I still had all my photographs and digital graphics. Also the
only elements missing were on the pages I'd been working on in the RBG
format, but not necessarily the elements I added while working in that
format. Anyway, it's corrected now. Thank you to everyone who responded.
I appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still don't have to work in CMYK for print. But of course, you won't be able to print any colours that aren't available in CMYK so it might help you in designing. If it's a desktop printer (your own printer) it is rarely a good idea to work in CMYK - let us know the printer model and we can tell you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched to RBG, and worked in that format for a few days. Once I realized the format has to be in CMYK for print, I switched back to CMYK

Hi @Margot275559946p5p , Unlike Illustrator and Photoshop, InDesign doesn’t have a document color mode—you can have a mix of RGB, CMYK, and Lab colors within a document.

How are you switching color modes? There is the Transparency Blend Space, but that doesn’t actually change your colors—it just handles how colors in different modes are blended together and previewed when there is transparency on the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi There,

Yes, I used 'transparency blend space'. But the elements were still there;
I found them when I hovered over the areas with my mouse. I just filled
the colour and it's all good now. As I mentioned in my last post, it's odd
that not everything disappeared. All my digital graphics and photographs
were still present. Anyway, I found an easy fix. Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines