• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac InDesign 16.1 opens files on Synology NAS as read-only

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone reported any permission problems with Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.3? I am opening InDesign files and on my Mac and they open fine. On another Mac, same OS, they are opening READ-ONLY. The permissions on the Synology haven't changed since we bought it. I already contacted Synology. We have 4 Macs running the latest InDesign. This read-only problem is happening on 2 of them. We are connecting AFP. We did try on one Mac to reboot in recovery-mode and reinstall the OS. We also uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign. Neither fixed the problem.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep Same - Todays update has not fixed this either

I wish Adobe would test things properly before releasing into the wild.

It is not for us WHO HAVE PAID for the software to actaully work to do your snagging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it affect only InDesign files? For example are you able to save PSD files normally? Are you able to save from TextEdit normally?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest Photoshop and text edit both fine when saving / opening / amending / resaving to Synology NAS - like it should be!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know if that's true. Our InDesign files intermittently open as Read-only. Hence the issue. But Photoshop files don't open that way per-se. But when those have an issue, they give the error that you don't have permission to open them. Hence Read-only. So you just can't open them at all. And the workaround is to copy to my Mac desktop. Edit and save over the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also has to do with Opportunistic Locking on Mac OS Big Sur. After further troubleshooting and working with Sophos (endpoint protection) they think that when files open on a NAS, Apple is locking certain files and not releasing them fast enough. Also with Sophos, I turned off the cryptoguard (ransonware) settings in Sophos and the read only goes away. Our Synology has SMB settings for Opportunistic Locking. I have turned it on and off and neither fix it. Sorry to just ramble but there are so many things involved it is hard to say what is really causing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming that this nightmarish problem will not be fixed by upgrading, you saved me from installing the massively bloated Big Sur. My two work macs (Catalina) are constantly fighting over permissions, and creating InDesign 'read only' situations, leading to much aggravation, lost time and sometimes the wrong job getting printed. Neither Apple or Adobe seems to want to provide a solution for this, leaving users to jump through hoops to get their work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to be a bad interaction between Sophos and InDesign.
We are experiencing the issue with both Synology on SMB and AFP on macOS Server (yes the last one!)
Turning off Sophos Cryptoguard fixes it, but Sophos say they are unable to fix it.

from Sophos-

@Jeffrey Bodine wrote:

Has anyone reported any permission problems with Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.3? I am opening InDesign files and on my Mac and they open fine. On another Mac, same OS, they are opening READ-ONLY. The permissions on the Synology haven't changed since we bought it. I already contacted Synology. We have 4 Macs running the latest InDesign. This read-only problem is happening on 2 of them. We are connecting AFP. We did try on one Mac to reboot in recovery-mode and reinstall the OS. We also uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign. Neither fixed the problem.

link-

https://community.sophos.com/intercept-x-endpoint/big-sur-eap/f/discussions/126631/big-sur-11-2-3---...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an issue with the Sophos Rasomware setting. If you switch this off in your account on the browser NAS should be fine with ID files. I am in communication with Sophos Level 2 tech staff who have just esculated this further.

They seem to be taking this abit more seriously than they were some months back.

For once this may not be an Adobe issue!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Bloopster,

do you have news about this issues? The problem affect 2 on 4 mac. All Imac are update: Macos Bigsur 11.6 and Indesign 16.4.

Could you help me?

Paolo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paolo

I have 2 set ups home and office both running latest OS, up to date Creative Cloud Apps and both set ups on Synology NAS. 

Office set up has no issues at all with 6 Macs NAS CC (No Sophos virus / ransomware)

Home set up still has read only issues with InDesign. This goes away when Sophos is turned off. Sophos Support tried loads of things, turning features on/off, with me over a good period of time. They came back me eventually saying it was a conflict between them and Apple and Apple were not responding to them. How true this is I am not sure. 

So if you have Sophos that is the issue - if not I'm not sure! Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines