• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maddening image issue in InDesign - why can't I make the image box and cropping boxes work together!!!!????

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a total rookie mistake, but when are there two boxes I have to move every time place and image and want to move it? It seems there's a cropping rectangle and a sizing rectangle. How do I get them grouped together so I can just drag the corner of both and size the image up or down.

This has cost me HOURS of time.

Please tell me what I'm sure is the very simple answer to this question that's driving me nuts! Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Hi Ben,

It sounds as though you need to hold down modifier keys to do what you want.

Using the solid arrow selection tool, dragging a handle of your image frame resizes the frame only - not the image contained within it.

Using the open arrow selection tool, dragging a handle of the image inside the frame resizes the image, but not the frame.

Use the solid selection tool and hold down control (or command) if you're on a Mac and drag the handle. This resizes the image and frame together. Because you a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

It sounds as though you need to hold down modifier keys to do what you want.

Using the solid arrow selection tool, dragging a handle of your image frame resizes the frame only - not the image contained within it.

Using the open arrow selection tool, dragging a handle of the image inside the frame resizes the image, but not the frame.

Use the solid selection tool and hold down control (or command) if you're on a Mac and drag the handle. This resizes the image and frame together. Because you are dealing with images, holding down the shift key too constrains the image proportions.

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Malcolm is correct.

It's worth memorizing: Cmd+ Shift (Mac) or Ctrl + Shift (Win) to visually scale a graphic (including both a frame and contents) and keep in proportion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also been driving me ABSOLUTELY insane. I se how holding down control scales them together when resizing, but this does not help when moving images around. Any advice for this? Or is there a way to turn this off? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use the regular Selection Tool (black arrow) to move the frame to a new position. Just be sure you don't click on the little donut in the center of the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scale with Ctrl-Shift (PC) or Cmnd-Shift ((Mac) and drag the corner points. Or use the scale tool in the Control Panel the one on top) or Tools the one on the left).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's also the Transform tool (E). It lets you scale, rotate, or skew the frame and graphic together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get them grouped together so I can just drag the corner of both and size the image up or down.

And, that's what the Auto-fit button does when activated (outlined in orange).

If you have images that don't fit well in their frames, try the two Frame Fitting buttons (outlined in pink).

InDesign CCss_022.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use BarbBinder's Auto Fit option if you want them to stay together proportionally.

Additionally if you prefer a list of controls should images not fit their respective frames then right click on the crop frame and choose the desired option under "Fitting".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines