• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maintaining hyperlinks in placed objects?

Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I already know the answer to this one...I have a 200+ page document with a bunch of hyperlinked PDF ads in them. When I export the .PDF, the hyperlinks are gone, except for e-mail addresses and URLs with "www." This also happens when I place the original InDesign document instead of the .PDF. Is there any other way to maintain the hyperlink, or am I going to have to add a hyperlink manually in InDesign or Acrobat Pro?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Linked pdfs and InDesign won't retain hyperlinks. Text links like emails and www addresses in text are automatically converted to loo links.

I don't know a way around it other than creating a hotspot over them in the new layout.

You can upvote this here https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/33658483-enable-hyperlinks-to-stay-live-in-pdfs-even-af

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linked pdfs and InDesign won't retain hyperlinks. Text links like emails and www addresses in text are automatically converted to loo links.

I don't know a way around it other than creating a hotspot over them in the new layout.

You can upvote this here https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/33658483-en...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I voted for this. I think there was another new feature post asking for the same thing, so I voted for that one too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have the original INDD you can use the content tools to transfer (and link) content from one document to the other. But be aware, as they are now open files, you should put all styles in a subfolder to avoid messing up styles. Different baseline grids may also cause problems.

Important is, that the other document has either  a different layer name oder exact the same layer names in the same order. The content tools will not catch content from a master/parental page if you take it from the page.

What you experiencing with working text links, emal addresses and URLs, is not a transfered link, it is an automatical link detection in you testing setup. Not every other user might experience this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines