Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make Paragraph Style "Original" to be identical to Paragraph Style "New"

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newbie back again ...

I have a paragraph style "Original" that runs through a novel. I need to update this style to be identical to a paragraph style "New" that I've imported from another document. The easiest way (I think) would be for me to copy the "Style Settings" of Paragraph Style "New" from the "General" category of the "Paragraph Style Options" dialogue box and then paste these settings into the "Style Settings" of Paragraph Style "Original".

But the style settings doesn't appear to be editible or even copyable.

I cannot accomplish this goal by selecting some text in the novel that is "Original" and then changing it to paragraph style "New" because all that happens is that the text switches paragraph styles, but the "Original" paragraph style remains unchanged.

I'm trying to avoid having to recreate all the settings (font, borders, etc.) of "Original" to make it identical with "New".

Thanks so much.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

You can copy some text that is using the “New” style then paste it into the target document or import it into your document by selecting Load Paragraph Styles from the Paragraph Styles panel flyout menu. Delete “Original” and replace it with “New” then rename “New”.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Thanks -  but how do I delete a paragraph style? I googled it but can't find the "delete" option?

I know ... super newbie ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

It is the trashcan icon at the bottom of the Paragraph Styles panel. If you delete a style into the trashcan, it next gives you the opportunity to replace with your chosen style.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can copy some text that is using the “New” style then paste it into the target document or import it into your document by selecting Load Paragraph Styles from the Paragraph Styles panel flyout menu. Delete “Original” and replace it with “New” then rename “New”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks -  but how do I delete a paragraph style? I googled it but can't find the "delete" option?

I know ... super newbie ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the trashcan icon at the bottom of the Paragraph Styles panel. If you delete a style into the trashcan, it next gives you the opportunity to replace with your chosen style.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got it - thanks - beautiful 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newbie back again ...

I have a paragraph style "Original" that runs through a novel. I need to update this style to be identical to a paragraph style "New" that I've imported from another document. The easiest way (I think) would be for me to copy the "Style Settings" of Paragraph Style "New" from the "General" category of the "Paragraph Style Options" dialogue box and then paste these settings into the "Style Settings" of Paragraph Style "Original".

But the style settings doesn't appear to be editible or even copyable.

I cannot accomplish this goal by selecting some text in the novel that is "Original" and then changing it to paragraph style "New" because all that happens is that the text switches paragraph styles, but the "Original" paragraph style remains unchanged.

I'm trying to avoid having to recreate all the settings (font, borders, etc.) of "Original" to make it identical with "New".

Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I originally posted under the wrong user. I'll delete the other. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines