• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making Accessible Documents from InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I make a multipage document from InDesign and try to make it accessible I get a Structural Parent Tree Inconsistent Entry Found and have no idea how to fix it.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

@Bec W. 

What version of InDesign are you using? Build Number is located on the About InDesign menu item.

So the PDF's tag tree isn't constructed correctly. Most common cause:

• The <Document> tag is not at the top of the tag tree. This tag should contain every other tag in the PDF file. Example:

<Tags>

<Document>

<Art>

<H1>

<P>

<P>

If you don't have a <Document> tag, make one (add it to the tag tree) and drag all the other tags

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What program is giving you this error?

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PAC 3 - I think the issue is coming from when exporting from InDesign but it's a lot of work to finalize and fix it in Adobe Acrobat so it would be nice to know how to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Bec W. 

What version of InDesign are you using? Build Number is located on the About InDesign menu item.

So the PDF's tag tree isn't constructed correctly. Most common cause:

• The <Document> tag is not at the top of the tag tree. This tag should contain every other tag in the PDF file. Example:

<Tags>

<Document>

<Art>

<H1>

<P>

<P>

If you don't have a <Document> tag, make one (add it to the tag tree) and drag all the other tags into it.

• Some of the tag tree's tags are not in the <Document> tag. Drag them into <Document>, making sure to retain their correct reading order.
  • You have some crazy nesting of tags, such as a <Table> inside a <Hx> tag. Or a list that's not tagged correctly.

This type of error is caused by incorrect construction of the original InDesign layout file. In my classes, I stress how to "engineer" the construction so that these errors are eliminated. I can't see your InDesign file so it's difficult to guess what you're doing in InDesign to cause the problem.  But the most common causes are related to incorrectly threaded frames to create a story, Paragraph Styles not used consistently, and hard returns either splitting paragraphs or missing entirely.

Hope this gives you some ideas where the error is occuring.

See the suggestion from C_Student (Oct 31 2020) for instructions on correcting the error in Acrobat: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-fix-an-issue-within-the-structural-parent-tree-for-acc...

But that's a band-aid to get you past the checker, and not the best way to make a PDF fully accessible to everyone who reads it. Always best to master the accessibility methods in InDesign so that these errors don't get built into the PDF from the start.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines