Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mapping styles to tags is prevented by an unremovable link in story editor

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This question is about accessibility and tagging.

When trying to map styles to tags using the tags panel, sometimes I get the following error:

“Cannot tag the selected text because the text contains part of a hyperlink or cross-reference. Change the text selection to include the entire hyperlink or cross-reference.”

ID-Tags.png

I’ve ensured that both my hyperlinks and cross-references panels are empty. (i.e. the document has no hyper link or cross references). However, when I use the Story Editor with Show hidden characters option on, I can see a following link icon between my text:

link icon.png

I can’t delete or remove it, even if a select and delete the larger portion of text that surround it.

I also tried converting the document to IDML and back with no results.

This prevents me to tag the document and create accessible PDFs.

I had this issue over server versions of InDesign including my current 16.4.x86.

Thank you,

Kasra

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Kasra, you're going down a rabbit hole here. Mapping styles to tags is not how you make a document accessible. This was a method we had to use 10 years ago but after InDesign CS 5.5, that method went away in lieu of a more seamless approach. I can't explain the entire process here, but I'd suggest watching my course on PDF accessibility. It's much easier than what you're currently doing! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The selection must include or exclude the crossreference complete. I would suggest for easier editing that you apply to the character style of the cross reference a warning color. At the end you can remove that color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kasra, you're going down a rabbit hole here. Mapping styles to tags is not how you make a document accessible. This was a method we had to use 10 years ago but after InDesign CS 5.5, that method went away in lieu of a more seamless approach. I can't explain the entire process here, but I'd suggest watching my course on PDF accessibility. It's much easier than what you're currently doing! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't this the XML tags panel? I guess she is confusing this tags with the map styles panel...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is the XML map styles to tags panel. She just needs to use the export tag option within each style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chad,

Thanks for the advice, and by the way, I used to be a student of that fantastic course you've mentioned 🙂

I knew that I can define tags for each style within the styles panel, but I wasn't aware -and could not find any mentione- that "map styles to tags" feature is deprecated.

This raised another question, and apologies maybe I misundestood the whole concept: To my understanding, list of supperted PDF tags are larger than the limited items on indesign's UI drop-down menu (P,H1-H6,Artifact). Namely, there are no tags for tables, cells and lists.

How can I address this limitation? Letting indesign map them automatically and check/ammend the results in Acrobat?

Kind regards,

Kasra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kasra!

To be clear, "Map Styles to Tags" and "Map Tags to Styles" hasn't been deprecated. It's still used for imort and export of XML in InDesign. I'ts just not used to make PDF files accessible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Chad!

Kind regards,

Kasra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines