• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Margins default back to zero when I add a new page in InDesign

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created my document to have .25" margins. But when I add new pages the margins default to zero on those new pages only. 

I know I can highlight all the pages and adjust the margins, but I'm looking to refrain from adding an extra step if at all possible. 

Anyone, have a clue what's happening?

TOPICS
Bug , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

You should define the margins on the master/parent pages. When you add a new page use the master/paren you want or appl the master/parent: Select the page(s) and click with holding alt/option key on the desired master.

Give the master/paren useful names. It helps in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Hi @paxtonhub:

The parent pages (called master pages in previous versions of InDesign) are in charge of the body pages—this is where we define the margins, columns and add repeating information like headers, footers and page numbers. As per @Willi Adelberger's answer, you should be defining the margins on the A-Parent, which will roll through the body pages.

As a heads up, if you have been defining the margins on the body pages, you have introduced overrides on each of them. You will want to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should define the margins on the master/parent pages. When you add a new page use the master/paren you want or appl the master/parent: Select the page(s) and click with holding alt/option key on the desired master.

Give the master/paren useful names. It helps in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @paxtonhub:

The parent pages (called master pages in previous versions of InDesign) are in charge of the body pages—this is where we define the margins, columns and add repeating information like headers, footers and page numbers. As per @Willi Adelberger's answer, you should be defining the margins on the A-Parent, which will roll through the body pages.

As a heads up, if you have been defining the margins on the body pages, you have introduced overrides on each of them. You will want to remove those overrides by selecting the body pages and reapplying the A-Parent to all of them before moving on. 

You can learn more about parent pages here: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/master-pages.html

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You two are both correct. The A-master was missing/deleted from the template file. I created a new file making sure those A-parent masters were there and everything is smooth sailing. Thank you both! @Barb Binder @Willi Adelberger 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are always happy to help, @paxtonhub!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines