Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Master Text Editable for Name Cards

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

So I am helping my sister with name cards for her wedding, and we basically want to know is it possible to have the master format for text [first name and last name] (same font, color, and position of box) inputted on the master parent page, but [first name and last name] are editable to type names from each individual page (aka card) so that we can input all the names without having to copy and paste and drag the boxes from one page to the next? (also, is there any function that automatically imports the names so I dont have to individually type them out one page at a time? Any help at all is greatly appreciated, thank you!!! 

*This only applies to first name and last name sections mentioned in screenshot*

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mail merge seems to be what you're looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Yes, that would be great. I have used it before with other systems. Can you share how to get there with Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never put text placeholder on the master page. It is enough to work with Styles, Paragraph and Character Styles for text formation with Object Style which will include the text styles.

There are many methods to import text files with automatic text styling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @default3j3i997e3njk ,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to the suggestions shared above, I found this tutorial on how to make name cards using InDesign which you can refer to https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/create-your-own-party-place-cards-using-adobe-indesign--cms-22... 

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or issues.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Thank you for sending I have seen that tutorial prior to posting, unfortunately it gives no information on how to do mail merge. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to do any copy/pasting.

Any Parent Page item can be made editable on any new page by simply clicking on it whilke holding Shift-Command/Ctrl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could just pour the names into a document prepared with a lot of thought.

Here I picked a page size and margin to contain the names. Just the names should appear in the margins. Note that I turned on Primary text frame (Edit: this is probably irrelevant).

Screenshot 2022-08-02 at 4.48.16 PM.png

I added the text below the names on a master page. I assume this will not change. Note that it is not within the margins.

Screenshot 2022-08-02 at 4.46.11 PM.png

I defined a paragraph style for the names and made it the default format. To do that I select that style in the Paragraph Styles panel with nothing selected.

Finally I placed the text file with names. I put each name, first and last, on its own line, like this:

Paul
McCartney
George
Harrison
John
Lennon
Richard
Starkey
Keith
Moon
John
Bonham
Pete
Townsend

Finally I placed the text file, holding Shift so that pages are added as needed.

Screenshot 2022-08-02 at 4.52.32 PM.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've used this mention to print out certificates for classes. Works well.

To recap:

• Put all the repeating elements on the parent page.
  • Set your margins to fit just the name area.
  • Create a paragraph style that includes a page break.
  • Apply style and shift-click when placing the file. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, have you tried Data merge for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines