• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maximum Single, Multi-Page Table Length in InDesign (Practical for Functionality)?

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Is there a maximum (i.e. tested/design-spec) length for a single multi-page (i.e. threaded/overflowing) text table (four column) within Adobe InDesign?  I am in the format-planning stages of a book project (the text content is fnalized) that is looking as though a single text table (details below) - imported from MS Excel - of ~350-450 pages (depending on layout size) is going to be the only practical way of formatting the bulk of text.  The table will be 4-8 columns, with a varying number of merged cells per row.  I don't want to proceed too far down the present formatting path if the above table size is outside of ID's design specs (as this is surely not the most common format) - potentially causing performance/formatting issues once all content is imported into ID.  The reason for the single table is so that table contents can be easily reformatted for different potential layout sizes.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to address the above question for me. 

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kenneth,

the maximum length of table rows is 10,000.

Maximum of table columns is 200.

See this sources:

http://jongware.mit.edu/idcs6js/pc_Table.html#bodyRowCount

http://jongware.mit.edu/idcs6js/pc_Table.html#columnCount

And yes, there are performance issues if you deal with a table of that length.

But it also depends on your machine and version of InDesign…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Uwe,

I appreciate knowing what InDesign is designed to support - the table could always be divided if hardware necessitates.  The provided sources are much appreciated for future reference.

Most appreciatively, and best regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If possible, do not only divide the table, also divide the pages to different documents.

Add the documents to an InDesign book file and synch page numbers and styles with the InDesign book functions.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this. I realize this question is old, but I'm working on a table that has only nine columns and about 1,200 rows and it's starting to fall apart. The ninth column disappeared and I can't get it back, and work is being saved but not showing up the next day. Even copies of the file are impacted. Time to break it in half (at least) or export the whole thing to Excel. Very frustrating to have a year's worth of work disappear, even in the backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @diannea83327007 ,

please open a new thread for this issue and link to the new thread from here.

In the new thread provide some screenshots, the version of InDesign you are using, the operating system and some specs about your hardware.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines