Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merged cells and line break

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have linked an excel sheet to my InDesign, and it updates perfectly with my character, paragraph, cell and table styles. But I have two issues I can't fix:

• one of my headings is in a horizontally merged cell in excel, but it comes in unmerged. I have then merged in InDesign, but every time I update it gets unmerged again.
  • I have a cell in excel with a forced line break. When imported part of the second line can be on the first line, so InDesign breaks it differently. If I make a forced line break in InDesign it disappears when the link to excel is updated.

Hope someone can help.

Lene

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Some tips...

• Make sure you use ONLY Cell and Table styles when linking an Excel file. Do not apply paragraph styles directly--the formatting will be removed when updating. (Link Paragraph styles to Cell styles--then apply Cell styles.)
  • Do not make ANY edits to content--including typos and merging. They will be wiped out when updating.
  • In Excel, make absolutely sure the cells are merged. They can LOOK merged if the adjacent cells do not have any content.

Excel view:

image.png

In InDesign:

image.png

• As you noted

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

When linking your excel file - File>Place and click Show Options

Is the table format set to Formatted or Unformatted? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry for the late reply. It seems I did not get any alerts on the question. It is Unformatted and then I do the formatting in InDesign - but the problem is not there anymore. Now I have a new one posted in another question today. A bit of the same, but this time with upper/lower case in Unformatted tables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some tips...

• Make sure you use ONLY Cell and Table styles when linking an Excel file. Do not apply paragraph styles directly--the formatting will be removed when updating. (Link Paragraph styles to Cell styles--then apply Cell styles.)
  • Do not make ANY edits to content--including typos and merging. They will be wiped out when updating.
  • In Excel, make absolutely sure the cells are merged. They can LOOK merged if the adjacent cells do not have any content.

Excel view:

image.png

In InDesign:

image.png

• As you noted, Excel's forced line breaks are supported ignored. What I would do is put a unique code in the Excel file, then do a F/C in InDesign. Save the query in ID--then run it as needed. Another option is to work around it--for example, use a colon instead.  [edited]

Excel view with a forced line break (after the "a") and with the code:

image.pngimage.png

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I corrected my post. Excel forced line breaks (Alt-Enter) are supported. 

Note: I did not test on Excel for Mac.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines