Exit

Metadata in InDesign epub

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all,

Hopefully a quick question--

I'm exporting a fixed-layout epub in InDesign, and am unclear of what to put in the Metadata Subject field. Should that be the complete BISAC code, or just the reader friendly descriptive word? For example, should it be:

JUV0290050 JUVENILE FICTION / Science & Nature / Trees & Forests

or

Trees & Forests

I've been searching online, but haven't found a clear answer to the question.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Missy

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

EPUB is a frustrating format. It's displaced all other contenders for general e-book format and for most intermediate formats (like getting to Kindle), but it's over a decade out of date and has been... extended by more parties with a particular idea of how it should work than it has been preserved as a standard.

I can't think of a single major player who puts much weight on the metadata, either way. Like the extensive data that can be embedded in PDF, it's "there" but has never been used in a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export InDesign documents to an EPUB format (adobe.com) does not give examples, but I think it should be a short sentence to describe the publication for search tagging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I started with that page when I ran into questions, then started searching online to try and find a clearer answer. Some conflicting info out there, probably due to changes over time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and the fact that no one, anywhere in the EPUB (and Kindle) game, ever takes down outdated information. Sigh.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too true! And then you have to ferret out how old the info is if the article isn't dated...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing I've ever encountered indicates that the metadata is of any use outside of a specific archive's needs. That is, if you're an institution or company producing some large volume of EPUB docs, you can set and use the metadata to whatever end is useful for your own archiving and search needs.

Out in the larger publishing world... some repositories might pull listing info from the metadata, so it's worth putting "good faith" entries in most of the fields, but I wouldn't sweat over it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, James,

That's good to know! I did find some info that echoed your thought that some places may pull listing/category info from the metadata, but that it wasn't something to stress over.  Thanks so much for your note. And I just bought the Kindle version of your "Word & InDesign to Kindle: A Professional Guide", so I'll be reading up on that, as well!

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

EPUB is a frustrating format. It's displaced all other contenders for general e-book format and for most intermediate formats (like getting to Kindle), but it's over a decade out of date and has been... extended by more parties with a particular idea of how it should work than it has been preserved as a standard.

I can't think of a single major player who puts much weight on the metadata, either way. Like the extensive data that can be embedded in PDF, it's "there" but has never been used in a productive way, at least not in any consistent manner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines