Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing a specific font weight from a CC Font

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All;

I am sorry to creative another subject on the topic; but I didn't manage to find an appropriate answer to solve my issue.
It concerns the Montana Font from CC Fonts. 
I made sure it is enabled on my account and on Indesign CC I can see all the weight but 'Bold'.
Obviously, it is the one I need .....

I've tried several things such as de-activating/re-activating the fond, disconnect/reconnect from CC Desktop app ... I still struggle to enable the 'Bold' weight.

Would anyone be able to help me figure it out ?
Thanks a lot,

n.

TOPICS
Bug , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you activate it? It is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a fan of using CC Fonts for a number of reasons. That aside, I just tried to duplicate your issue and found similar, but not identical problems:

• Downloaded five weights of Montana: Regular, Slanted, Medium, Bold and Bold Slanted.
  • Created a New InDesign document on three systems — Windows 10 and Mac production systems using IDCC 2021 (v16.4x) and my test Windows system, using the latest IDCC 2022 (v17.1x).
  • Entered a one-line typing drill, copied/pasted for 5 lines and went to apply the five downloaded CC font weights for Montana.

I was able to get your problematic Bold font weight and print them on all three systems. But I couldn't apply/print the Bold Slanted weight on the two Windows systems. All font weights were available and printed from the Mac system, using MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 and a font management utility called RightFont to handle resident fonts installed on my system.

It'd help us help you to know what operating system, version of InDesign/Creative Cloud you're using and if you use any type of font handling utilities on your system for managing your fonts. Font handling utilities should not matter with downloadable CC Fonts, but when it comes to type utilities CC Fonts may or may not play well with others.

But if you search these forums, you'll see other cases where downloadable CC Fonts can be problematic. It may be cold comfort, but you can rest assured you are not alone.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Randy;

Thanks for your time and answer.

My IndCC and CC are both up to date, (17.1/5.6) running on Windows 10.
I am not sure to get what you mean by ''font handling utilities'' but in this file the Montana font is used alone.

I guess I'll go for another font, it's always a good workaround 😉 

best,

n.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many Mac users, and some Windows PC users, use a third-party font handling utility like Suitcase or RightFont to selectively turn fonts on and off, as well as auto-activate fonts used in a Creative Cloud file. It improves computer performance, since the operating system doesn't have to load all the resident fonts you may have when the system is started, and speeds up processing because all those open fonts don't have to be processed when working with applications. With Windows systems, it's a relatively small performance hit. But on Macs, it's a big performance hit.

I'd say it's a good call to use a different font if you can. But if it's any consolation, you're not alone with having these problems with downloadable CC Fonts.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC Fonts have a built in maintenance feature: if you haven't used a weight in a while, they may be de-activated.

fonts.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tested this myself on both Mac Big Sur and Win 10.

All 8 weights of Montana activated on both systems.

All is fine on the Mac in both InDesign and AI

However, in Win 10, in my case it's the Bold Slanted reported as missing (the rest are fine) although it is clearly activated properly.

So, something is up with that font. Ironically, if you look up Montana at other vendors (e.g. MyFonts), the Slanted versions are not even available. Might be a question for the designer. Their contact information is on the font's page at Adobe Fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have since poked at these fonts with FontForge and there appears to be a flaw in the Family/SubStyle assigned for both Montana Bold and Montana Bold Slanted. Both are assigned to be the Bold variant of Montana Light. This is probably enough to cause a conflict in Windows. I'd report the issue to Adobe and/or the designer.

Update on further testing: Confirmed. If you actiavte both Bold and Bold Slanted, there's a conflict, and depending on which one you actiavte first, one will work and the other will fail. (Windows)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brad said: "I'd report the issue to Adobe and/or the designer.".

Hm. Where exactly would one report that?

At UserVoice of Adobe Fonts?

Seems that they only allow for "ideas" about feature requests or feature modification requests. Currently there is no category for "bugs" at Adobe Fonts UserVoice:

https://adobefonts.uservoice.com/forums/940222-adobe-fonts-feature-requests-and-feedback

Nevertheless I'd do a bug report there under category "No category" perhaps.

FWIW: Did something change with the issue after the update on InDesign 17.2.1 ?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try activating only the style you need and not the entire family. This was a problem in the past for me and a work around to get it sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines