Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing bleed in PDF

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have a problem exporting a project (poetry book) to PDF with "bleed". It is a combination of text pages and "full-page" pictures (where bleed is needed). At export I set bleeding to 3mm on every side but the PDF is generated like this:basen_missing_bleed.jpg

The printer called me that he needs bleeding 3mm on every page and every side. How shall I do that? I have InDesign CS5.

Thank you very much in advance

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

You have to extend the image to the bleed extend on the first place. If you have done so, export with bleed. Obviously your image ends with page edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to extend the image to the bleed extend on the first place. If you have done so, export with bleed. Obviously your image ends with page edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I got it! I have just realized that I actually overlapped the main text frames with picture frames with edges ending right at page borders, so yes, I need to extend them as ID does not take them as main frames and does not allow to bleed over them like it does with main frames. Thank you!

But let me ask - if I let bleed over all sides of the page, from the inner side it bleeds into the neighbouring page and it is probably not needed, right? So I should let bleed on all sides except for inner ones, right? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inside bleed is needed only with wire-O-binding. Normally you can ignore it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It can be useful in perfect-bound grind-off so the image dips down into the spine, and useful for saddle-stitch for adjustments in shingling. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really should ask the printer if he wants the bleed on the inside edge. He may say yes because he wants to allow for creep in a large signature, so don't assume that it is not necessary.

If he tells you he needs the inside bleed you will have to split any spread that has an object that needs to bleed on the inside. THere is a lot of discussion here about ways to do that (there are many) and even some scripts to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @Willi Adelberger said - when designing a document - you need to know if images / background will be touching the edges - and then extend them, so when you send document to the printing company - everything is already in place. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to add the bleed allowance in the document setup. If the bleed fields are not showing, click the more options or advanced options button to expand the dialog and enter the bleed amount (3 mm) in the fields. This will add another guide outside the page area to help you locate how far to extend your images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines