Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing files from external drive

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 🙂
I've been using a Mac Mini M1 2020 for over a year and something like this happened a few days ago.
I installed the latest version of InDesign and noticed a scary thing. Well, files started disappearing from my hard drive. After opening a file in ID, all files disappear from the folder. So I uninstalled the newest ID and installed the previous version but this problem is still there. I connected the hard drive to a PC and Windows – these files are there. So I ran Disk Utility on Mac and this error pops up: Incomplete set of directory entries found in (and here's the path). Mac fixes it and the files go back to the directory. But this problem repeats itself. Here is a link to the video - this is what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP57RNousPY&ab_channel=MariuszBieniek
This doesn't happen on any other application, only on InDesign. What is the problem? Is this some InDesign or Ventura bug? It can't work like that. Do you have any idea how to solve this?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Hello.
Sorry I haven't written in a while, I had some problems. Anyway… I bought a new drive and formatted it with APFS and updated the ID back to the latest version. I've been working in this configuration for a few days and haven't noticed the problem I described earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking online there is a lot of reports and solutions to Mac Ventura update deleting files. 

It's hard to know what is going on for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also say that I have Ventura running on a MacBook Pro 2021 with an Apple M1 Pro chip and I have not run into this problem at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know. Only the problem is not directly related to the Ventura update. This happens when I run InDesign. Files disappear but Mac finds them. When I run ID, the problem also reappears. It's possible this is a bug in Ventura but the problem is only related to the ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are all file Permissions in order?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1203/mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am the only administrator of the computer and I can read and write files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But your folder permissions are different - can could have changed. Have you checked? Just asking to be sure. 

Can you also try both of these methods

Start in Safe Mode and see if the issue persists.

and

Setup a new user and see if the issue persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But your folder permissions are different - can could have changed. Have you checked? Just asking to be sure. 

Yes, I'm sure.

Can you also try both of these methods

Start in Safe Mode and see if the issue persists.

and

Setup a new user and see if the issue persists.

Yes, I'll try after work. I'll let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Marius Bienius,

Hope you're doing well!

We would like to follow up on your issue. Are you able to resolve the issue by following our expert advice? Please feel free to update the discussion if you need further assistance.

We would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello.
Sorry I haven't written in a while, I had some problems. Anyway… I bought a new drive and formatted it with APFS and updated the ID back to the latest version. I've been working in this configuration for a few days and haven't noticed the problem I described earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines