Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing fonts displayed with (OTF) after the name

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi This is driving me crazy!!!

So I have made over 200 datasheets within InDesign which use MontSerrat Bold & Montserrat Regular fonts.

All has been going great but I open up one of the files today and I get a message stating that I have missing fonts?? But the warning box states

Montserrat (OTF) Bold: & Montserrat (OTF) Regular: couldn't be found.

I do not understand where the "(OTF) came from? I don't have any fonts that are written like that ????

Help Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Working on Windows 10 and I have updated InDesign.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OTF stands for Open Type Fonts. Open Type fonts are considered the standard for modern typography. They work equally well on Mac and PC. Check wherever you have your fonts loaded to see if the actual font has .otf as a suffix. As to why the fonts are not being read that depends on how your fonts are actually loaded. If you are using a font utility like Suitcase check to make sure that the fonts are active. If you usually use auto-activation through that font activity make sure that the latest auto activation plug-in has been installed. If, as you say, you have recently updated InDesign then you may not have updated the auto-activation plug-in to be compatible with the latest InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd certainly try what Bill Silbert is suggesting in the first instance. With this font though, I've experienced this before.

There are different ways that Montserrat can be loaded onto a machine. It can either be activated as an Adobe font from the Adobe Fonts site: Montserrat | Adobe Fonts

OR it can be downloaded directly as it is a Google font and used as per its Open Font Licence: Google Fonts

I have a feeling that InDesign is trying to locate the font via Adobe Fonts first, rather than look for where it might be on your machine. If you are able to find the Montserrat fonts that you have been using already, and put them into a folder in the same directory as your InDesign file and call it Document fonts (spelled like that and in the same casing) and see what happens when you try to open the file.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill/Colin/Srishti,

Thank you for your replies, however...

I have this font on both my computer and in the Adobe fonts.

I also did everything you suggested but nothing worked

When the "Missing fonts" box comes up, it shows the two "Missing" fonts with the (OFT) after the name but when I try to find the font I can see both the missing fonts in the list to choose from ????

The other strange thing is that if I replace the "(OTF) Bold" with the Montserrat Bold it is the same but when I replace the "(OTF) Regular" with the Montserrat Regular the font is too thin but the "Semi Bold" is to thick?????

I know I could just change the font I am using but I do not want to go back over the 200+ documents I have already made with these fonts.

I am really pulling my hair out with this one.

Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I could just change the font I am using but I do not want to go back over the 200+ documents I have already made with these fonts.

For the worst case scenario you can try my Change fonts script for batch processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you replace the missing fonts with the same(available) fonts? Does it give you the same error when you open the file next time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They open without issue but they are not the same as the original fonts:(

I am not very well educated on computers so i do not know all the terminology and most of the replies I have rec'd have lost me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your earlier post, you mentioned that you have the font available on your system.

awilliamsnexsun  wrote

I have this font on both my computer and in the Adobe fonts.

When the "Missing fonts" box comes up, it shows the two "Missing" fonts with the (OFT) after the name but when I try to find the font I can see both the missing fonts in the list to choose from ????

The fonts which you see on your file(OTF) are the original fonts which were used initially. The fonts which are installed on your system are different.

Two fonts can be of the same name and different versions.

Was the file created initially on your system or you got it from someone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

So sorry to hear about this issue. In addition to the information shared by Bill and Colin, please refer to the help articles shared below:

Use fonts in InDesign

Resolve missing fonts in desktop applications

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this issue ever solved? I have the same exact problem. Properly installed font keeps showing up missing with added "(OTF)" in the name, whenever I get the file back from my coworker. I can replace the fonts with activated fonts without the (OTF) in the filename and as long as I hold on to the file, the fonts are fine,  but once saved by the other coworker, comes back to me it is back to Missing. We both use fonts via Adobe Fonts (Source Sans Pro) Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the exact same problem with this cursed Montserrat font family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed an earlier suggestion and uninstalled Montserrat from my computer. The activated Adobe font family version worked as they were supposed to after that. There was no need to restart the computer or even InDesign. So thanks to whoever suggested that fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I had the same issue, with a file that has been passed back and forth between designers 50+ times. Apparently, if one designer uses the font (for me it was proxima nova) from their computer (meaning OTF), and the other person uses the font as a downloaded file, it shows up as two separate fonts, creating the dreaded pink type. I solved this issue by going backwards and deactivating the original font (in fontbook), and then reactivating from adobe fonts! I hope this helps anyone with this issue because all the other answers in this thread didn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jussome Guy,

in the case of Adobe's Source families you can also download and access the font files at Github.

Yesterday we had a case in the forum that seems to be similar to yours. I made some suggestions, explained possibilities, but the original poster did not come back to comment yet.

Please read through this:

Font missing; TT OTP font-versions appearing, and reinstall font conflict

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/font-missing-tt-otp-font-versions-appearing-and-reinstall-fo...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/font-missing-tt-otp-font-versions-appearing-and-reinstall-fo...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this same problem and I solved it! So here's what to do:

1. In your properties panel, next to the character field, click the little "down arrow" to reveal the font panel.
  2. At the very top of the font panel, there are two tabs: fonts and find more. Click find more and scroll down to find the font in question.
  3. Your font will either have a little cloud icon with a check mark or, most likely, a little cloud icon with a "..." below it. Click that cloud to activate the font.

In my case, "Open Sans" was the font that went missing. For whatever reason, it had become inactive. Once activated, all of my issues went away.

Screenshot 2023-01-26 100842.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bonjour,

I had this problem with Montserrat, I deleted the font everywhere, on Adobe Cloud, but also on my computer in the control panel > font. I then reinstalled the good font on Adobe Font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines