Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mobile template size

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm designing for the iPhone X and am trying to use the preset that comes with InDesign (1125 x 2436 px). However, at 100% this is really big; the text size is 36pt for body text when placed on this template. Which presents a bit of a problem for my project, as my client wants to know what the font size will be on screen. I know that's not particularily relevant to app design with dynamic fonts etc, however, my client is very specific in wanting to know what font size I'm using so they have some sort of benchmark. So being able to use an 'actual-size' preset would be really handy. Any advice would be awesome!

If you need anymore background I've designed a print resource which my client now wants to develop into an app and I'm designing the layout for the app developer. And my client is very focused on font size (was a web developer about 30 years ago ...)!

Thanks

TOPICS
How to , Print , Publish online , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @vickyb30597743 , An InDesign page is a vector object, so it has no resolution. InDesign does have a Pixel Ruler Unit, but it has a static output dimension of 1/72", so if you change your iPhoneX page’s ruler units to Inches and check its dimensions they will be 15.625" x 33.8333":

Screen Shot.png

By default InDesign also defines the print output size of a point as 1/72", so you are forced to set the body text large relative to the 15.625" x 33.8333" page.

You could set your document up to the iPhoneX physical dimensions—its resolution is 458ppi, so a document at the physical dimensions would be 5.319" x 2.456". In that case your body text set as InDesign pts, would be relative to the iPhone’s physical size:

Screen Shot 1.png

And my client is very focused on font size

A further complication would be what does your client mean by "font size"—what unit is the developer going to use? Is it InDesign’s and the print world’s points (1/72"), HTML/CSS points (1/96"), or HTML/CSS Pixels?

If the developer is going to use CSS Points then your page dimension should be 1.333 larger to reflect the difference in print points vs. CSS points 96/72=1.33

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @rob day A massive thank you for the answer - that's really detailed and super helpful - thank you! I should now be able to give the client an idea of potential font size in a unit they understand (pt), and a mock-up PDF that should be 100% screen size. And I'll liaise with the developer to see what units they're going to use!
Thanks again for your help - it's really appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines