Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Modification date no longer working

Contributor ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Modification date no longer working.

I have used this in the past and it seems to have just stopped working.
I don’t know if it has changed since the InDesign 2021 update.

When I save the document as a PDF it no longer displays the date that I modified the document. I does not show todays date.

Here is how I have always done it in the past:
Created a test block on a Master page.
For the test block I selected Type > Text Variables > Insert Variables > Modification Date.

Did they change the way it works now?
Did anyone else have this problem and find a fix?

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

I got this working.

I closed all Adobe products and then reoped InDesign and it started working again.

Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got this working.

I closed all Adobe products and then reoped InDesign and it started working again.

Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have had this happen, made a .idml. issue stopped. i have also closed indesign and re-opened. that did it too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, InDesign has some weird quirks to it.

I have at times tried to open InDesign from my desktop and it will not open at all.

What I have found is that it never closed correctly from my previouse seasion and is still running in he background.

If I go to my Windows Task Manager, it will show that it is running but I is not showing in my task bar as running on my desktop.

What I have to do is click on it in the Task Manager and then right click and End Task.

After doing this it will open up in Windows.

It can be a pain in the ass but that's what works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What doesn't work any more in INDESIGN is automatic date-stamping on MY OWN storage device, which I'd never trust to 'the Cloud'.
I create finished books, not "books with fields embedded that register dates." Any internal visible data that doesn't belong inside a finshed doc is both useless (it's INSIDE before you can see it) and a booby trap. You have to be 'lucky' to open the right version of your document, and not have techi info embedded in reader content. 

I open documents from a list, not from inside their remotely controlled developmental software. I need my Windows to put the latest updated document, WITH ITS updated date, right in front of me in the List.
This old idea of seeing the date of your latest work goes back to around 1980. Maybe early employees invented it because it was both necessary and was never going to go out of fashion. What a concept!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines