• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

More M1 / InDesign headaches

Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having read all the discussions about the problems with Adobe products vis a vis the new M1-chip Mac, I'm just throwing in another experience with it. I cannot explain how it happened, but InDesign started hanging yesterday, and became completely unusable. Then I started having more problems. My Finder started crapping out and needing to be relaunched, other apps started having the same problem.

I'd be tempted to put this on a problem with OS Monterey, except I was able to get everything fixed eventually, except for Adobe products (Acrobat also started to become non-functional). I've tried the Cleaner App limited success. I've opened InDesign after the clean-up and a new install, and I can open ID files from the Finder, but the Open command in the app itself doesn't work.

I will mention that there was one process or line that was still appearing in the Cleaner window, "Fix Host File," that the Cleaner tool wouldn't clean. It remained there after running the clean-up. I'll say that I didn't do a manual search for residual Adobe files after running the cleaner, but I can't say I have much confidence that doing all that work is going to make a difference if I do the whole clean-up again.

I'd offer more details if I didn't have a day job. I'm sorry, this is the best I can do. I don't know whether there's one more answer to this problem that's escaped my notice, or I'm just adding one more anecdote about the misery that is M1 vs Adobe.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have several M1 Macs, from 8gb Air to 16gb/2Tb MacMini's and iMacs. We have no problems with the latest native M1 version 17.1 at all.... Try a clean install of the system and apps, check for helper apps etc. you use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three days ago I would have felt the same way. Everything's been working like a charm for a month. Then something happened. I'm completely mystified. I did one clean-up, but I'm going to do another one with a manual search for any leftover Adobe files. And start her back up. I'm not completely sure it isn't a Mac OS thing that's just manifesting most obviously in InDesign. Because of the Finder crash . . . which no one's mentioned in any of the other threads about this kind of problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took the MacBook back to Apple. In the Activity monitor, a process called fileproviderd is taking up 100% of the CPU usage. Apple says this is always related to cloud-based apps, of which I have three main ones—Box, MS Office, and Adobe CC. Removing all of these didn't get rid of the problem, and it looks like they're going to have to wipe the machine completely. Luckily, I'm able to work from my old machine in the meantime, which seems not to have a problem with any of the apps. 

The only difference between the old Mac and the new one is that it's an Intel machine running Big Sur. The new one is M1/Monterey.

This is just an FYI for the thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple says this is always related to cloud-based apps, of which I have three main ones—Box, MS Office, and Adobe CC.

By @Rob the Slob

Just for funsies, maybe try disconnecting from the Internet entirely. This will kill any cloud activities going on in the background.

Creative Suite is supposed to let us work offline for 30 days before requiring us to phone home and prove our subscription is paid.

If you must tap into a file server or NAS, you can still do that as long as you're not using the internet to do so, like a wired or local WiFi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm way past funsies. And since Apple could do nothing in the end but wipe the drive, I'm essentially going to do something like the above. Although I'm way too dependent on being connected to the internet, I am going to work selectively with cloud-based apps once I get the machine back. No desktop Box (or desktop Google Drive, which our institution is making us move to). I may try to work a few minutes offline completely. Since I use Adobe documents that depend on fonts from their font library, though, I wonder if I really could work that way with Adobe CS. 

Can I activate a font, then disconnect, and still have access to the font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My studio and accessibility shop had to go off-cloud several years ago. We do a lot of work with the US federal government and government contractors, and security has tightened up tremendously over the past few years.

We used to us Adobe fonts when we could still download them traditionally, and install them permanently on our systems. But that capability doesn't seem to be available at https://fonts.adobe.com/. Only the button to "activate" them via a Creative Cloud license is available.

So we moved exclusively to open source fonts (different from OpenType fonts, which is a font technology based on the Unicode character encoding system). https://fonts.google.com/  The license covers both commercial and private use, and allows them to be embedded into digital files, such as EPUBs and PDFs. There's a good selection. And I haven't had any technical problems with them (former typesetter).

Haven't regretted going cloud free. All our systems run faster and with fewer crashes and hangs. 

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very familiar with open source fonts and software. Unfortunately, that's not an option for us. Going cloud-free . . . man. It's the flip phone of graphic design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, PUBLIC clouds may be flip phones. Clouds like those from Adobe, Google, Amazon, etc. keep tracking everything about your movements and data. And that's not why we want to use them.

So why not make your own private cloud?

(And FYI, flip phones are making come back.)

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines