• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Move InDesign File to Another File?

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -- I have two 2023 InDesing files. When I try to move a page from one file into another file, the formatting becomes completely messed up.  I understand that the incoming file adopts the formatting of the receiving file, so I've renamed all styles in the transferring file.  There are no overlapping style names.  I don't understand why the formatting still changes when bringing this document into the receiving document.  I've tried both "move" page and also just cutting and pasting, and the same thing happens.  

Thanks.

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What with the BasedOn styles? 

Do you base your top most style(s) on default style - [Basic Paragraph Style]?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -- I'm not entirely sure.  Character Styles are based on "None."  Paragraph Styles have table body (table) at the top, then [Basic Paragraph] underneath, then body underneath that.  Some of the paragraph styles are based on "body," some on "header" some on "no paragraph style.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's likely that basing styles on [Basic Paragraph] are causing a problem (or at least part of your problem). Probably each document has a different definition of [Basic Paragraph].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my point 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thank you.  How do I remedy this?  Do I have to set up totally new paragraph styles?  Can I just remove styles but keep formatting?  Let me know what you suggest.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Paragraph Style should be based on the Basic Paragraph Style as it is defined differently per default in different version. When you get to the root of your style system make sure that it is based on none.

The same is valid for object styles.

When you move pages to another document different  base line grid setting will also cause a problem if they are different.

Before moving pages from one to the other document look to your masters/parent pages that those do not have their generic names as it will end up in multiple Master A pages that will confuse you in further steps.

Another influence in the appearance of your pages may be caused by the layers. Make sure that those do not have their generic names and make also sure that their order is the same, otherwise objects on the layers remain on the layer with the same name, but a different order will reorder also the objects.

Another topic here is you should check text variables if there is a conflict.

If you think there are to many traps, use an INDB InDesign Book file and leave the INDD file unmerged and use the book funktionality for your tasks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for all this.  I think I need a basic tutorial on InDesign styles and how to set them up (any suggestions?).  I'll create a sample document set up to the specifications you mention and see how that transfers into the receiving document.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does seem like so many little things that could go wrong.  I don't understand what you mean by "use an INDB InDesign Book file and leave the INDD file unmerged and use the book funktionality for your tasks."

Essentially, I prepare a lot of proposals, and I need to bring in resumes to different proposals.  The resumes are always separate documents, and I want to be able to bring them into different proposals without the formatting changing.  Do you have any suggestions on the best way to set that up? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One last question -- How do I set up paragraph styles based on None?  The default is always [Basic Paragraph] and I'm not sure how to change that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines