Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move Pages is not working

Contributor ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am very new to InDesign and am having issues with moving pages. 

I have a document that has been imported from Word, for some reason after working with it one page appears to have been deleted. No idea how that happened. 

I have done quite a bit of wqork on that document so do not want to have to redo it.

I have created a new document from the origianl word file so I can move the missing page to the master document.

However, the move page command does nothing.  I had it working eralier today when the same thing happened, but now it just does not work. There must be a setting I have turned off.

Help please

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Thanks,

All seesm to be working OK now, with no errors reported.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use a Primary Text Frame?

Is the text threaded from page to page? 

Check the end of the document and see if there is an overflow symbol (little red box in lower-right corner of text frame.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

I don't know if I used a primarey text frame. I created the original document (a book, my autobiography) in Word 2007, but switched to InDesign as I need quality photographs and a color managed workflow.

I just used shift place to copy all the Word document into InDesign.

There is no red box bottom right of the text frame on any page or at the end of the  document (119 pages atm).

I am trying to teach myself how to use InDesign by studying online tutorials and YT videos, most of which are really helpful. As a result of your comment I have found an article on primary text frames and am studying it now. That led me to realise when I created the initial document ready for placing, I did not select "primary frame". I will now look at converting it, but not sure why I need to. Guess I will find out after studying the tutorial.

Would that have anything to do with losing a page without deleting it? It has happend to me more than once, as far as I can tell when I deleted a blank page or pages.    

Regards,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S, the text does overflow into the next page though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I read, the red box should be top left. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No--overflow symbols are in the lower-right corner of a text frame. 

From the help file, here is an example:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/threading-text.html

(Look at E in the first illustration)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally, with flowing text from your autobiography, you wouldn't move text-filled pages, but cut-and-paste text from one location to another (similar to Word). 

If the text is not showing up on screen, check your Story Editor (Edit menu) to see if the text still shows up. If it does, then you are probably having a display issue. If not, the text or the text frame got deleted. (If the frame got deleted, the text would jump/flow to the next page.)

Let us know what you find and we can help from there.

PS: You may want to look at inserting your photos as inline or anchored objects in the text flow so the photos move as the text is edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Would that have anything to do with losing a page without deleting it? It has happend to me more than once, as far as I can tell when I deleted a blank page or pages.

As far as I understand you, you are have threaded-text trough many pages, and when you try to move some of pages with that text you have something not right to your mind. Don't worry, this is normal behaviour. 

You do need to un-thread text for pages that you will try to move. You can do this manually or with script. Here you go: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/how-to-quot-unthread-quot-a-text-frame/m-p/28317...

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

No red box lower right, but a small blue box. Must be because I am using the latest version. see attached.

Screen dump InDesign.jpg

However, it is obviously what you are referring to. See below screen shot showing existing threads.

Screen dump #2 InDesign.jpg

I was able to fix the issue by moving the relevant page from a new InDesign file created from the original Word doc to the end of the master indd file, then moving it to the correct position. Not sure why it worked though, which frustrates me a little.

I have another question, will start a new thread as it is a new topic.

Regards,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The blue box at the end means there is no overset. 

The problem most likely has something to do with the formatting, such as no-break applied to too much text or start on next page, etc. Of course, it could be a corrupt file. Hard to tell without seeing the file. 

If you want to message me and send me a link privately, I can look at the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

All seesm to be working OK now, with no errors reported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what you do? And what errors do you mean?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George, I mean the green or red dot that comes up on the bottome of the screen and says "no errors" or errors", mainly relating to overset if I did not have extra linked pages. Hope that is clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

P.S. To all, I have pretty well worked out how to do all I need to now, thanks to you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines