• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving Text Box Causes InDesign to Reference Multiple Images

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does InDesign reference various images on my layout when I simply shift a text box a couple of times with the arrow keys (or other minor moves that have nothing to do with images or their placement on the page)?

Surely this network activity causes the unnecessary delays I'm having using the package?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

? What do you mean by ‘reference’?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screen shot showing what is actually happening. Also, what version of InDesign and what operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jimb1784124  wrote

Surely this network activity causes the unnecessary delays I'm having using the package?

I suspect what you're seeing is not InDesign "referencing" images, but redrawing your page. Slow or delayed screen redraw can be a product of varied factors. Keep your system resources free by ensuring there is nothing unnecessary running, and set InDesign Display Performance to Typical (Ctrl+Alt+Z), only switching to High Quality (Ctrl+Alt+H) temporarily when it really matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim:

We really need more information to be able to provide a clear answer. John may well be on the right track with speed issues, but we need screen shots (with frame edges and hidden characters showing) of the before and after scenario.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, here's some more information.

System: Dell XPS 8930 -- NVMe Toshiba 512GB HD+ Toshiba 2TB HD -- Core i7 8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz -- 48GB RAM -- Intel UHD Graphics 630 -- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB)

InDesign: 14.0.2  x64

Windows: 10 Pro

Here's a screen grab illustrating an example:

Sample-Desktop-Image-Referencing-Problem.jpg

1) Sometimes if I select the text box with 'RFID' in it and hit the down arrow key, say, five times to reposition it, ...

2) ... InDesign 'references' a series of image files elsewhere in the file (on this page and on other pages) -- indicated by the image file names displaying one after another at the lower left of the screen. By 'referencing', I mean whatever it is that InDesign is doing when displaying all these image file names. (Other terms may be 'checking' or 'noting' or 'tabulating' or 'running through the list of images in the entire document', etc.) This 'referencing' can take anywhere from 15 seconds to 2 minutes.

You can imagine how annoying this is when you simply want to micro-position a bit of text ... and you have to wait all that time to see the text actually reposition.

Does this make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, this looks like the redrawing and caching of the preview rendering, if those images are on a slow server and your not fully patched to the latest version of InDesign, this can be a problem.

I had this myself a while back in early test versions!

To do:

If GPU is on, turn it off in preferences;

Set display to Typical not High;

Move images to a local disk:

And last but not least: save as idml, open that and save it as a fresh indd file. This will rebuild once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Frans

Can I take your suggestions one by one?

I'm using the latest version of InDesign. When you say 'not fully patched to the latest version of InDesign', do you mean our company may not be running the latest server software?

I don't have a GPU option in InDesign Preferences. Possibly because I'm on a PC, not a Mac?

Yes, I know setting the display to Typical speeds up the navigation process, which I do when looking at overall views. I have to admit, though, because of the detailed work I often produce (and the way the designer half of my brain works) I far prefer to see zoomed in elements in high resolution.

Moving images to a local disk would be massively impractical, complicated and time consuming in our working environment. (I also curate our in-house image library -- which has thousands of images on the server -- that are required by a couple of different designers on misc projects each day.)

Thanks for the IDML tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're seeing is InDesign redrawing the screen. While you have a pretty high powered machine, this is fairly normal (and annoying) when trying to work with large files in high-quality display.

Go back to typical. I wish I had better news but I just finished a similar project (on a well-powered machine) and had to do the same thing. I'm working locally so even moving everything to a local drive won't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob

Ouch!

I guess what I don't understand is why InDesign would even need to redraw the screen when I haven't done anything more than move a text box (or some other simple task). I wonder if there is a setting to limit how often the screen is redrawn ... or only redraws the file page you are working on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any time you move something the screen has to redraw. What you could do if you only need certain graphics to remain high quality is to set the document to typical but override individual items.

Another thing to do is make sure live preflight is off and that thumbnails in the pages panel are off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem with documents in a book file, resaving as idml, setting typical AND moving my images did it for me. I can not pinpoint exactly when en why this happens, as I have also files with ’large’ images that worked without problems...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that's it's worse when EPS graphics are involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

had this problem with complex highres PDFs placed in the layout.

On the one hand I needed the highres preview for exactly positioning something on the right spot stacked above the placed graphic.

On the other hand the permanent screen redrawing was unbearable slow. Up to the point that only parts of the graphic was drawn.

Switching to the next or previous spread brought back the whole redraw of the placed graphic.

Sigh.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frans

You said: 'Ah, this looks like the redrawing and caching of the preview rendering, if those images are on a slow server and your not fully patched to the latest version of InDesign, this can be a problem.'

Do you mean our company may not be running the latest server software (that has patches for InDesign in it)? Or something else?

I know Adobe products as tools of the trade, but know almost nothing about servers or what makes the back-end work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I meant the latest version of InDesign CC 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Thanks for clarifying.

I think it's time I talk with our IT Guru about getting a more direct link between our image library and a few workstations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I finally resolved this problem about a month after that last post -- by complete accident. In discussing the problem (again) with our IT technician, we discovered that it had been connected to the network in what was originally meant to be a temporary manner when shifting offices.

Instead of the computer being directly linked to my company's network, the cable was patched through my landline telephone on my desk. This rendered the connection very slow. By unplugging the cable from the phone and plugging it into a main comms socket in the floor my computer sped up tenfold!

The above screen rendering problems in InDesign disappeared immediately on this discovery. 

I'd like to say to those with similar problems, 'Always check some of the most obvious things'. Unfortunately, it wasn't obvious to me why one type of comms socket could be so restrictive compared with another. 

Thanks for everyone's input and interest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines