Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multi-level book indesign

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm creating a book with indesign. I want to achieve this chapters structure with automations in order to make an automatic summary at the end:

I created a indb file which collects all chapters (1.)

I then divided each chapters into sections (1.1)

How can I achieve the 3rd level 1.1.1? Shall I use cross paragraphs  numbering or other set sections?

Thanks a lot

Irene

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Definitely want to use paragraph numbering. Use the pop-up menu to insert the proper level code, but here is what it should look like.

1 or 1.0, chapter title depending on style: ^H.0^t

1.1 with first number always reflecting chapter number--Level set to 1: ^H.^#^t

1.1.1 with first is chapter number--Level set to 2: ^H.^1.^#^t

1.1.1.1 with first is chapter number--Level set to 3: ^H.^1.^2.^#^t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely want to use paragraph numbering. Use the pop-up menu to insert the proper level code, but here is what it should look like.

1 or 1.0, chapter title depending on style: ^H.0^t

1.1 with first number always reflecting chapter number--Level set to 1: ^H.^#^t

1.1.1 with first is chapter number--Level set to 2: ^H.^1.^#^t

1.1.1.1 with first is chapter number--Level set to 3: ^H.^1.^2.^#^t

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot.

So, I'm assuming I did everything wrong?

Here's what I've done to achieve the 1.1 level (and why i'm missing the third level):

(screenshot)ref.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, you do not want to use section marks. Paragraph numbering is the way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, seems to work perfectly!

Still can't figure out how to make this work in running headers also, though.
I used to create them the way I though it was correct, by setting chapter number and section marks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, if I set on master page a variable "running header" which recalls chapter title paragraph style, it shows up only plain text and not numbers (1.1 - 1.1.1 etc) of that instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because InDesign doesn't allow auto-numbers in running head variables. So:

1. Vote for this as a feature request here: Text variables to include auto numbers – Adobe InDesign Feedback
  2. This $99 plug-in will do it:  Power Headers | in-tools.com​ [EDIT: the website indicates that the plug-in runs on InDesign CS3–2015.4)
    Bullets and Paragraph Numbering: Power Headers offers the option of transferring bullets or paragraph numbering to the headers. You can use this option in conjunction with the option to transfer local formatting or GREP Processors to style the bullets or paragraph numbers differently than the rest of the header text.
  3. If that is too pricey, use x-refs: Retaining automatic numbering in text variables?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder  wrote

… This $99 plug-in will do it:  Power Headers | in-tools.com

Hi Barb,

just a note: It seems that the Power Headers is not available for InDesign CC 2017 and CC 2018.
Think, that this is due to the total absence of flash technology with InDesign CC 2017 and above…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe:

We don't know what version Irene is on, but you are right, I should have pointed that out. I'll amend my answer.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone!

I still have a problem though:

it looks like chapters won't update in the book file: it always displays n.1.
I've selected "continue from previous"  in the paragraph style and synched everything, but still doesn't work.

check.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. In each chapter, check to make sure that Continue Numbers from Previous Document in Book is checked.  Type > Bullets & Numbering > Define Lists > [your list name] > Edit
Screenshot 2018-01-11 12.26.23.png

2. In the book window, Update Numbering > U[date Chapter and Paragraph Numbering.
Screenshot 2018-01-11 12.27.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb--I think the update chapter numbers in the book file is all the OP needs to do. The number styles shouldn't need to continue across the book if the ^H chapter code is used. One would want the level 1, 2, 3, etc. to reset themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone and sorry for bothering again but I have another problem with this book.

I set up my list and linked every chapter to a book file.

The problem is that on the second chapter everything gets messed up: If i check "continue from previous", the second number (2.#) continues from the previous chapter in the book. If I check restart from one, it starts from one on each title I type on the same chapter.
What I want is obviously to have 1.1 - 1.2 - 1.3 etc in the first chapter, 2.1 - 2.2 - 2.3 in the second chapter and so on.

001.PNG002.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chapter numbers are (usually) obtained by there position in the book. You shouldn't have to check "continue from previous document in book". Technically, the title style (^H) level has no impact on the numbering. Here is an example book with styles:

Adobe Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I wasn't referring to chapter number (I know it's generated by its position in the book), by to the sub-chapter number defined by the list, as shown in the screenshot I attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Chapter numbers:

Screenshot 2018-01-22 07.40.22.png

Head1s:

Screenshot 2018-01-22 07.40.55.png

Head2s:

Screenshot 2018-01-22 07.41.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it doesn't work...for some reasons it displays 3.18 instead of 3.1 in the first subchapter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show me the same screen shot as my first and second ones for your chapter numbers and top level head?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes of course.

Chapter

a001.PNG

Subchapter: : 3.18 should be 3.1

a002.PNG

Subsubchapter: 3.17.1 should be 3.1.1

a003.PNGa003.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only see two numbered items, but three paragraph tags.

We have been setting you up for the more traditional

3 or 3.0

Am I seeing that correctly? If so, we need to refine the tags.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gassadamante,

I have to run so here are the screen shots for what I now think you need.

Note that you can just change one chapter (try chapter two or three so that you can tell when it is working) and then use the book sync command to update the others if this works for you. If syncing is new for you see "Synchronize Book Documents" in Create book files with Adobe InDesign.

~Barb

Screenshot 2018-01-22 08.41.00.pngScreenshot 2018-01-22 08.41.20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, still not working. In fact, if I use your new tags when I insert a second sub-chapter it starts from one all over.
a004.PNG

You are correct indeed, i don't use the classic 3.0 title because i use it in the first chapter page in a different way, using running headers. This is because I need chapter number to be displayed in the page footer as a running header as well, and as they told me in this forum running headers can't use dynamic numbers such ad numbered lists.

a005.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a phone call/issue to deal with so I'm still here.  

How do you feel about packaging the book and putting it on dropbox so I can just look at it? I think that is the quickest option at this point. You can post the link here (public) or message me by right clicking my name (private).

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I can do this because it's quite heavy (more than 1Gb just for .indd files)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about a copy of the book with just the first 2-3 pages of 2-3 chapters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines