Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multi-level book indesign

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm creating a book with indesign. I want to achieve this chapters structure with automations in order to make an automatic summary at the end:

I created a indb file which collects all chapters (1.)

I then divided each chapters into sections (1.1)

How can I achieve the 3rd level 1.1.1? Shall I use cross paragraphs  numbering or other set sections?

Thanks a lot

Irene

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Definitely want to use paragraph numbering. Use the pop-up menu to insert the proper level code, but here is what it should look like.

1 or 1.0, chapter title depending on style: ^H.0^t

1.1 with first number always reflecting chapter number--Level set to 1: ^H.^#^t

1.1.1 with first is chapter number--Level set to 2: ^H.^1.^#^t

1.1.1.1 with first is chapter number--Level set to 3: ^H.^1.^2.^#^t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can do that I will send you a private message. Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you think it could be a solution to restart numbers manually?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the paragraph numbering issue does not seem to be resolved. I have just completed a thesis with 8 chapters with headings and sub-headings within each chapter e.g. in chapter 8, I have 8.1 with sub-headings 8.1.1, 8.1.2 and 8.2 with sub-headings 8.2.1, 8.2.2 etc I had to export the file to pdf and then word and do it manually. is there another way? I am working on a new thesis and would prefer to do all the finalization of the thesis in InDesign and export the thesis to pdf only when completed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you for your suggestion. before I moved the pages from the various chapters of my thesis into one document, I had tried restarting the numbers manually in each chapter but the paragaph numbers were not retained when the documents were merged.  However, I hadn't thought of manually numbering the paragaphs once they were in the merged document. I tried out your suggestion today - I manually numbered the paragraphs so that the paragraphs in each chapter are numbered in accordance with their corresponding chapter number. There are eight chapters and the paragraph styles amount to about 60 in all, the paragraphs numbered along these lines: 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 etc for chapter 1 (there are about 120 listings on the contents page which include continuations from the above paragraph styles e.g. : 1.2, 1.2.1, 1.3 etcfor chapter 1). It was cumbersome to create and edit the TOC due to the tiny work window for TOC which only shows 4 styles at a time - it is not possible to scroll down through, or copy, the 'styles' which have been selected.  Flexibility, smooth work flow and an aversion to making manaul adjustments (as error creeps in) are among the reasons I have invested time and expense in using InDesign. 'Book' is somewhat of a misnomer  - it is reasonable to expect that a 'book' consisting of chapters created in a software application that allows for particular 'chapter' numbers to be assigned to a document would in fact perform as a book and allow the paragraph styles created in each of the chapters to be imported into and retained in the 'book' and used to populate the TOC. Notwithstanding these issues, your suggestion is already being put to use and is a much better option that exporting the file to pdf and creating TOC outside of ID  - Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines