• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My lowres pdf is 300mb, normally it should be about 10 mb max.

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2024 Jun 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a PDF with the smallest file size. However, it will be 300 MB in size, while normally it is a maximum of 10 MB. I use large images, more than 600 dpi, but they should be automatically reduced in size with a low-res PDF. Is there a setting that is preventing it from working as I would expect? I already read something about downsampling, but I can't find that when I export.
Can anyone help me further?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @hanneke61 , Can you show a screen cpture of your Export dialog’s Compression tab?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hanneke61_0-1717864399513.png 

hanneke61_1-1717864421694.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't include page thumbnails into the PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2024 Jun 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I tried this but it did not help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many pages is your document, and how many images does it contain?

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a document is not behaving well then try 

File>Export 

Choose IDML

Open the IDML in InDesign
Save the file as a new InDesign file with a new name
See if the issue persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this but it didn't help. The PDF was the same size again. Then I created a new document and dragged all the pages into it. This also gave an equally large file.
I make a similar booklet every year, I exported last year's booklet and that worked well, it was 5 MB.
Is there anything else I can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also exported different pages to see if there would be one image that causes the problem. I exported page 1-10, that gave 59 mb, then I exported one spread 11-12, that gave 1,5 mb. So also not here is the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't really answered the basic question here: just how large are these images? "600dpi" means nothing in absolute size. What are their pixel dimensions and source file sizes? What are the layout/page sizes? And how many of them do you have in this document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are many images, some used several times. The  absolute sizes are from 300 dp - 1800 dpi. 
There are also ai images. Thera are 76 pages- size a5
But I think the effective pixelsize should not matter when I create a lowres pdf, because every image should be resized to 72 dpi. Am I wrong? And also previous year I did it the same way.  

hanneke61_0-1717944121242.png

I have reduced some of the images considerably, but it remains at 295 MB.
These are the package maps from previous and from this year. 

A diffence is the size of the illustrator images. I don't know why, but they are very large. This simple one for example is 25 mb:

hanneke61_1-1717944278940.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stating an images DPI or PPI is not a useful figure, despite it being commonly tossed around. You can have a one-inch by one-inch image that's 300 pixels by 300 pixels that is an "1800ppi image" — that figure is just an arbitrary number assigned by Photoshop or the like to indicate what print or display size the image is meant to be.

The important figures are the actual pixel dimensions of the image — such as 900 x 600, or 3000 x 6000, or such, and that will be more or less proportional to the actual source file size (1 meg, 10 megs, etc.)

I suspect you are using enormous and probably oversized image files and not taking the right steps for them to be downsampled to a reasonable export size and PPI. But an answer has to start with —

• Some representative image sizes, in pixel height and width;
  • Some representative image sizes, in source file size of kb or Mb;
  • A total of how many images you are using in this document.

As for AI images, there are many reasons they can be large (too large), such as embedding high-resolution raster (photo) images in them.

I think all of the images you're using need to be reviewed at a technical/format/size level to get you to a usefully small PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your answer. I will check all images for size in relation to final formats. but what I don't understand is that last year's folder with images is the same size as this year's, but that the differences in PDF format are so great. like the image in my previous post. And I also don't understand why a simple AI image is already so large in my previous message. there is no raster image in it. not even in hidden layers or anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is simply no way to resolve this with nothing but general information. All due politeness, you are continuing to misunderstand some very basic questions and answer with "nothing's changed" or "the files are 600 dpi" and so forth, which indicates you may be overlooking some highly relevant technical problems here.

We know absolutely nothing about your project or its elements, this year or any prior year, and need very specific information to help pinpoint why you might not be getting optimal (or at least expected) results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I think the effective pixelsize should not matter when I create a lowres pdf, because every image should be resized to 72 dpi. Am I wrong? And also previous year I did it the same way.

Looks like something else is causing the excessive file size–your compression setting would not create a 300MB PDF from the images alone. Sounds like it could be the Photoshop ancestor metadata bug—see this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/is-there-a-script-to-clear-indesign-metadata-red...

Also you can run an audit of the PDF in AcrobatPro — Optimize PDF>Advanced Optimization>Audit space usage... —that will tell you what percentage of the files size is allocated to images:

Screen Shot 28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did what you suggested and I see 88% is from schaduwgegevens. 
what can I make of that?

hanneke61_0-1717948812214.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a lot of transparency effects? What happens if you Export a Print PDF to an sRGB Destination?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't know either 😄 - you'd have to share images/files with us to investigate. 

See this thread on how to audit your file and see what's causing the extra clump of data that is making it so large
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/why-do-some-pdf-s-come-out-at-massive...

If it's vector images then they won't be compressed, as they are vectors not rasters.

If you don't need them as vector, as they are online, you could try saving them as PSD or TIFF and relink them in InDesign
https://creativepro.com/relink-from-one-image-file-type-to-another/#:~:text=But%20even%20cooler%2C%2....

See if that helps.

If the vector images are large then the PDF will be too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also exported different pages to see if there would be one image that causes the problem. I exported page 1-10, that gave 59 mb, then I exported one spread 11-12, that gave 1,5 mb. So also not here is the issue

By @hanneke61

Ok you said you have 76 pages in total, so exporting 12 pages doesn't prove anything so far.

Try to export your file in 7 chunks (1-10, 11-20 etc.) and see which PDF is particularly large. Then you can isolate the issue to a specific page (or pages).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem was in the vector files. I still don't really understand how that happened because they were simple drawings.
Also, I don't know what it means that the PDF audit indicated that 88% of the space was occupied by shadow data. Anyway, I replaced all the vector files with JPFs and now the size is 5 MB, as I would expect.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem was in the vector files. I still don't really understand how that happened because they were simple drawings.
Also, I don't know what it means that the PDF audit indicated that 88% of the space was occupied by shadow data.

By @hanneke61

If vector files have certain transparency areas (including shadows), they can end up being split into thousands (or tens of thousands or more) of tiny images. The PDF size then  can increase enormously, like in your case.

If you still have your old huge PDF, you can open it in Acrobat, open the Preflight panel and run the "List page objects grouped by type of object" profile. Will it show a huge number of small images?

leor_0-1718030985580.png

(My UI is in Spanish as part of an experiment of immersive Spanish learning).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this what you mean? 

hanneke61_0-1718032041375.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The profile you ran only lists transparent objects but you can already see you have nearly 5000 of them. And how many links in total do you have in your document? I'm sure it's much less than that.

If you run the profile I mentioned - List page objects grouped by type of object - it will list all images (not only transparent objects), which might as well show hundreds more of additional images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I see! Now I understand that this file was 295 mb!  I am so glad that I now understand what happened. 
Is there a way to use illustrator with shadows and transparancy, without this problem? Maybe export it on a certain way?
If I show a design to my client, I prefer to use vector in stead of pixel images, because then I can more easy make changes in the illustrations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I show a design to my client, I prefer to use vector in stead of pixel images, because then I can more easy make changes in the illustrations.

Is there a reason for Exporting an Interactive PDF? Does the final PDF require interactive elements or are you showing the client a layout that will go to print?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines