• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mysterious crashing of InDesign file

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there are some other posts related to this, but they're from 6-12 months ago or earlier and I didn't find anything helpful in those, so I'm posting this afresh.

Yesterday, suddenly, a large ID file I'd been working on for some years froze. I had to force quit. When I reopened the file, made some changes in the text, and saved, it froze again, and the only way to escape was force quit. This happened over and over. Here's what I've done — all to no avail:

• Reinstalled MacOS — 12.5.1 Monterey
  • Updated from ID 2021 to ID 2022.
  • Trashed the preferences.
  • Opened the file in Safe Mode, where it seems to work fine, but not so in regular mode.
  • Gone back to ID 2021.

When it freezes, it doesn't give me the option of filing a crash report, even though that option is on.

I'm working on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018, processor 2.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7).

Oddly, ID seems to work fine in two other large documents, at least for the few minutes I played around in them. (The freezing of the problematic file is almost immediate.)

ID has always been rock solid for me. I'm near the finish line of a book I've been working on for a long time, so this is pretty frustrating.

I'll be so grateful to anyone who can help solve this!

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as IDML, open that, save as INDD with a new name. Work on with this file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willi, thanks for the suggestion. I've tried this twice, and the newly-named document freezes immediately as soon as I make any changes in the text. I've sent the file to Adobe but I don't know whether or how soon they'll reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just sent the document as an IDML file to someone else who has an earlier version of INDD. On that computer did what you suggested and all seemed to be well, at least in the few minutes I spent cutting and pasting chunks of text and saving the document — things that would have caused the document on my computer to freeze immediately.

What does this mean for me? Next steps?

THANKS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the divide and rule technique – divide the document in half and see if you can successfully open one half and if the other half causes problems, keep dividing the "bad" half until you (hopefully) isolate the problem which may be a corrupt font or image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you – I'll try this today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines