• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mysterious Discrepancies in Borders Assigned to Frame by InDesign Styles

Explorer ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an object style in InDesign which puts a border around image frames.

It is a stroke of 1 pnt, 4.233 mm corner, 100% opacity, 586e80 hex.

When I apply the style to my image frames, it creates a border.

The bizarre thing is that sometimes, in an image here and there, it creates a distinctly different border (lighter or narrower) than the other images with the same style.

The only way I can fix it is to delete it, create a new frame, reapply the style, and re-place the image.

I compare the correct frame to the incorrect frame side by side and I can see a visible difference. But the exact same object style has been applied. Also, in the properties, the settings above are the same.

I can't see why I have to create a new frame to get the style to apply properly and consistently.

The bizarre thing is, not only can I not see what is overriding the style settings, I can't see any different setting in the properties. I just see that the border looks too light and narrow, and it is fixed when I delete the frame and reapply the style.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any idea what may be causing frame borders to look different even when the exact same style has been applied?

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you aware that you can apply styles and effects both to a frame and to the contents? Even to the extent of applying, say, a border and drop shadow to the frame, and some other effect to the image inside?

Are you possibly applying your border to the image, and not the frame?

Object Styles help manage this a bit more reliably, as well. You can see at a glance whether style elements and effects are applied, and to what.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pretty positive I'm applying the Object Styles to the frames, not the image.  But I didn't know about effects being applied to images.  I would like to see if any effects are being applied to images without my knowledge, causing confusion. How can I see if effects are being applied? Where would I see this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the image instead of the frame; examine the various style settings. It's just an object within an object, but it's surprising how long it can take to realize/learn that this 'duality' exists.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Makes sense.  Good to know.  I tried it, and in looking at all the properties settings, including effects, I couldn't find a difference between the object with the faulty border and the correct one.  But it was a valid possibility ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the frame was scaled the settings in the transform pnel can direct to scaling borders and effects.

You can either reapply the object style by holding the alt/option key or even better:

Windows > Utilities > Scripts > Community Scripts > Remove Style Overrides, activate Object styles and select the style where you want to remove the overrides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I tried it (the script), and it didn't solve it. But that is good to know.

When you say "You can either reapply the object style by holding the alt/option key" ... do you mean I would select the frame and then hit Alt+ something? What would I press concurrent to "alt"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold on alt/option key and click on the style. This works for all styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Well that doesn't seem to be the problem, as doing that didn't change the border, but thanks so much for your input.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines