• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mysterious wrapping

Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot figure out why the text shown here is wrapping the way you see (sorry, I blurred the text because it is unapproved so far). You would assume that it is the photo on the right which does have text wrapping for the bounding box turned on. Likewise with the red and black graphics above. But I deleted these elements, along with literally every other thing on the page, one at a time to determine which it was, but doing so does not change that wrapping. Turning on "ignore text wrap" for the text does make the wrapping disappear.

Given this, I cannot figure out what is causing it, so of course, how to fix it. Other ideas of what to check?

lifespantoo_0-1660764819135.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

The ideal solution would be to (1) find out what's causing that bizarre wrapping, and then (2) set wrapping with the angled object. But you knew that. 🙂

Does the wrapping in the text box change if you move it around? Have you done a "select all" on the page to see if there's a phantom object, maybe on a hidden layer, that's causing the effect?

And are you sure there's no soft returns in the text forcing those breaks?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not explain that I want to move this text up a little and have the wrapping respond to the angled graphic above it. So turning on "ignore text wrapping" is not the solution for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks as if it may be wrapping to the elements in the photo next to it. Your best option may be to turn all wrap off and change the text box shape to follow the angle above.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would think, but I literally deleted everything else on the page so there was nothing but this text frame, and the wrapping remained. It's a real phantom wrapping.

So OK. I did not realize or think about editing the shape of the frame. That works except I need to reduce the spacing at the top some, but as you see below, it is constrained to a single spacing for all sides. Surely I can change that, but I cannot figure out what is causing it to be a single setting.

lifespantoo_0-1660766867177.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not being able to clearly see the words makes this a guess, but are they simply wrapping that way because there's not enough space without hyphenation? If you widen the box a little, do the lines snap into a more reasonable wrap?

And if you do a free-form adjustment on the text box, simply drag the top border down the 1pc or whatever needed for the correct spacing. There are other ways, but that's the simplest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks James. No, adjusting the width or hyphenation does not change wrapping. It is wrapping around some phantom element. Again, I deleted everything on the page but this text frame, and the wrapping remains. I also just deleted the text frame and recreated it in case there was something odd about it, but the wrapping didn't change. 

I can edit the shape of the text frame but not get exactly what I need because the text frame is also filled with that grey, and so I need it to the top of the margin. Is there some setting I am missing to turn off the uniform inset spacing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ideal solution would be to (1) find out what's causing that bizarre wrapping, and then (2) set wrapping with the angled object. But you knew that. 🙂

Does the wrapping in the text box change if you move it around? Have you done a "select all" on the page to see if there's a phantom object, maybe on a hidden layer, that's causing the effect?

And are you sure there's no soft returns in the text forcing those breaks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. Yes, if I just drag the text box around, it wraps around that phantom object. I did a select all as you suggest, but the only thing I see there is that photo on the right. I did another select all after deleting the photo to be sure there was not something like an empty text frame but don't see anything.  It is indeed a phantom.

I realized that I can get what I need by making the text frame transparent and adjusting it as needed and then just adding a gray rectangle behind it. So I will do that and move on, but I would sure love to know what is causing the wrapping. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was going to suggest separating the text frame and the color frame, but didn't get that far yet.

Have you selected that background photo BOTH in its graphics frame AND as the contained element? It's possible to apply object characteristics to both and it may be the photo itself  that has "wrap to object boundaries" selected, and not its container frame. Other than that... I'm stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this must be it, but I am not sure what IT is. Selecting the image with the direct selection tool, I see this outline. The only way I could figure out to get rid of it is to use the delete anchor point tool and delete each point on it. But that either did not remove it all or there is something else because the text wrapping is still happening. 

This thing is not on a separate layer. It is part of this image. 

lifespantoo_0-1660772306154.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open the image in Photoshop? It looks like an embedded shape or mask; you should be able to delete the layer. Or, right-click on the image to see if you can access the image layers there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this is so confusing. I'm pursuing it just for the learning experience, so thanks for hanging in there with it. I opened the image in PS as you suggested and saw that I forgot I modified that image a little. I expanded the window behind the woman up a little because it was covered by an angled graphic above it, and that area was blank. So regardless of whether that makes since, the point is there was a layer in Photoshop (the placed image was a PS file) that corresponds to that mysterious box showing. BUT, I flattened the image in PS and reloaded it in this Indesign file, and that box is still there and the wrapping still happening. So for me, the mystery continues though you may understand the issue now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks to me like it could be a second frame with radius corners grouped with the photo and the pair pasted into yet another frame.

Can you select the photo, then show us a screen capture of your layers panel with all layers fully expanded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe. I don't understand why there are two related layers here. When I click the first layer in the panel, there is a larger frame showing, but deleting it deletes the whole image. I resized the frame so that it was way to the right and should not affect text wrapping, but doing so had no affect on the wrapping. So I don't think that's it.

lifespantoo_0-1660782000483.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: yank the photo out of that frame and drop it on the pasteboard. Check the layers of it there, and then delete the frame that was holding the photo. Put down a new frame and drop what you are absolutely sure is just the photo image file into the frame.

If that doesn't work... find a hammer. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's pretty hard to tell exactly what's going on without actually having the file, but my gut says that blue frame on top of the photo  is the "rectangle" object just above the selected Sanchez_baby.psd in the screen shot. Try clicking the eyeball next to it to turn off visibility and see if it disappears. If it does, turn it back on and delete it. If not, try the one further up the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both, but these latest ideas turn up nothing. I give up. I've managed to get it looking like I want it with the work arounds we discussed. Once this project is printed, and on a slow afternoon, perhaps I will return to it to solve the mystery. I'll let you know if I do for your future crime solving efforts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines