• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NEED IMMEDIATE SOLUTION ADOBE Unable to open documents - says other user using. I am only user.

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to open an Indeisgn files on Mac, says other user is using. I am the only user. The only design files I can use are those marked 2022 in filename. it says you may not have permission or document is open, neither are relevant/true.

Secondly  cannot believe I cannot get live support on the weekend to solve this. This has basically killed my business as I cannot get my older design labels files to open.

I have updated to new Indesign and that didnt work. There seems to be some conflict I am unable to fix. Apple was baffled to but at least their support was open on Saturdays. If I do not get this fixed I have to close my business!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

The issue is opening up from external hard drive. it wont allow me to do that now. I have take files and put on desktop to have to open in Indesign. 

Some weird permission thing and I have no clue how to fix.

By @em11319849

If you can work from the desktop and the linked data does not pose a problem, do that. You may try doing a save as to the original location. If that fails, you may have some disk protection that disallows you to open in RW files. Then it's an OS issue and not an InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Are you using Monterey? Check to make sure that your Adobe apps are listed in the Full Disk Access section under your Mac's System Preferences > Security & Privacy. If they aren't, this affects how files on an external or cloud-based server will behave.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Most people that it was happening to were those that did an upgrade to Monterey from a previous OS over existing installs of Adobe apps. Apple's new "security" rules forced a reset to the Full Disk access on may apps, but really made no effort to inform people of that. It can also happen when there's a point grade update.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look for a file like this one:

Abambo_1-1665250247428.png

Sometimes after a crash, this lock file stays on the disk. You can delete it (or move it out of that directory).

Adobe customer care in English is available 24/24 and 7/7. The Fora are open even beyond those times…

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Customer care is not open until Sunday evenings. Thats what chabot told me.

Additional info many of my files are on an external. If I try and open them from external I get the eroor message. If I drag the files from my external to desktop and then open then in Indesign they work.  I am baffled why this "suddenly" has happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how to look for that file FYI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use finder. The file is in the same directory as the InDesign file.

It doesn't matter where your files are located. Look in finder, in the directory where the indd file is found for that lock file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, it appears that the InDesign product support is effectively closed for the English chat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes

got bot and said Sunday open not today

I did use finder and it didnt bring up that filw.

The issue is opening up from external hard drive. it wont allow me to do that now. I have take files and put on desktop to have to open in Indesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @em11319849

If you can work from the desktop and the linked data does not pose a problem, do that. You may try doing a save as to the original location. If that fails, you may have some disk protection that disallows you to open in RW files. Then it's an OS issue and not an InDesign problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See also here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-lock-file/m-p/11840719#M414993

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how to locate *.idlk if issue. I opened new finder window and input that in Mac and external and doesnt show anything. Im sure I am not in the correct area

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Monterey? Check to make sure that your Adobe apps are listed in the Full Disk Access section under your Mac's System Preferences > Security & Privacy. If they aren't, this affects how files on an external or cloud-based server will behave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes using Monterrey but started just before upgrade. Apple said to upgrade which probs compounded problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did this happen? It was out of the blue got the you can't have access

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple decided to increase security on the OS. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most people that it was happening to were those that did an upgrade to Monterey from a previous OS over existing installs of Adobe apps. Apple's new "security" rules forced a reset to the Full Disk access on may apps, but really made no effort to inform people of that. It can also happen when there's a point grade update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Dropbox or another cloud service? If so, disable any smart sync features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No but did look uder security and privacy andIndesign was not checked off. So going to restart and see if that fixes access to files external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!!!

SOLUTION FOR ME WITH EXTERNAL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines