Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need InDesign Endnotes in single text boxes

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have a very specific problem: I am working on a book project with multiple chapters and each chapter has lots of endnotes which should placed at the end of the book. Notes will start with 1 in each chapter. So far so good. 

Unfortunately, I haven't the whole manunscript of the book yet, as well as not in cronological order. InDesign places the notes in ONE textbox only, which means they are not in order because I started with chapter II, have now to work on chapter IV and so on ... When I try to copy-paste the bunch of notes, the connection get lost. The same problem when I try to separate the text frames via script. Is there a possibility to tell InDesign to start each chapter endnotes in a new text frame?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

"Notes will start with 1 in each chapter. So far so good. "

So currently you have one Endnotes text frame per chapter, right?

If you want this text frame somewhere else in the document do not copy/paste the frame or do not copy/paste its contents!

Instead move the frame to a different page or spread. You have to do that in the Layout window where you can scroll through all the pages and different spreads easily when you zoom out.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean technically with chapters? 

In InDesign terminology is a book file INDB a sampler of several INDD. Each of these INDD is a chapter of an INDB.

Do you mean that.

Anyway, I would not touch the endnotes. Move them outside the page and bleed space. I think it is also possible to make with the content tools (take content, place content, convoyer) linked frames/stories in the order at the end or at a separate file. If this is linked content, it can be updated like images are updated, both in the link panel. I would not connect endnoteframes of different chapters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi halessa,

how did you organize the chapters?

Is every chapter one InDesign document and you assemble the documents in a InDesign book file?

Or do you have all material in one big document?

If we look at a single chapter:

Do all texts with endnotes flow in one single story with threaded text frames?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have no book file, because it is technically impossible to have a book file with single indd files, containing end notes at the end of the book. The Problem is that ID moves all endnotes in one single frame - no problem if you can work all chapters cronologically, but as I do not so, they are not in the right order. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Notes will start with 1 in each chapter. So far so good. "

So currently you have one Endnotes text frame per chapter, right?

If you want this text frame somewhere else in the document do not copy/paste the frame or do not copy/paste its contents!

Instead move the frame to a different page or spread. You have to do that in the Layout window where you can scroll through all the pages and different spreads easily when you zoom out.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Uwe, thanks that was the right hint I needed. No, I hadn't the endnotes in chapters but told ID to put it at the end of the file and that's why it put all of them together in one single frame. But your solution works perfekt. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines