Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to convert a transparant file to CMYK

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have two .png files (that were originally .svg) that I need to convert to CMYK for printing. I need to retain the transparent areas.

Does anyone know if this is possible in InDesign, or if I need a different programme, how to do it? 

Thanks 

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Looks like it might be a “stitching” artifact from transparency flattening. Does it happen if you export using the PDF/X-4 preset?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images should normally be in RG with profile in printing document.

But your image is a graphic. Never use PNG for printing.

Open your SVG in Illustrator, save as AI or PDF/X-4. In Illuustrator you can change the mode to CMYK and clean up the colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Cicely21763980xcpy , if you have the original vector .svg, you can open the .svg into Illustrator, and set the File>Document Color Mode to CMYK, edit the vectors to your desired CMYK values, and Save As Illustrator .ai format. Do not include a color profile if you don’t want the CMYK values to be adjusted via color management down stream.

If all you have is .PNG. you can open it into Photoshop, convert to CMYK without flattening, and Save As .PSD. InDesign and Photoshop share the same color management, so you can also place the .PNG and make the conversion to CMYK on Export to PDF by setting a CMYK Destination in the Export>Output tab, which will convert all of the document RGB colors and objects to the chosen CMYK space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah thank you! The only problem I have now is that when I've exported the PDF, an X from the frame around the .PNG (created within InDesign) is visible? Image attached - first one is the PDF, second one is what it looks like within InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - it's uploaded them the other way around. The one with the link on the frame is the InDesign screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it might be a “stitching” artifact from transparency flattening. Does it happen if you export using the PDF/X-4 preset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're right - sorted with PDF/X-4. Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see a x.

What hinders you to open the svg in Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines